Mars x Fem! Reader || Loss

~loss~
Requested by: @x_randommoon_x
☆☆☆

He was always an eye-catching figure in battle. His power was terrifying and awe inspiring. As I watched him in combat with his fellow knights from the safety of our nearby hideout, I can't help but let the passing thought of "I'm grateful to be on his side instead of against him" slide through my mind.

"[Y/n] are you watching Mars again? You know they'll hurt you for using your mana up for this." A fellow medic knight I've grown close to walks behind me and says.

"I just like to make sure he's okay, Erica. I won't use up a lot of mana- I never do." My voice is as soft and docile as ever.

   "Yeah, well-" Erica is interrupted by the warning bell. We've been infiltrated? But how ?!

   A rush of bodies begin to move frantically. It quickly becomes every man for themselves, since you were considered useless if you died anyway.

   Erica and I make eye contact and she whispers to stay close so that we can try to run to safety. As medical mages, we were the least trained to fight and would usually have one protesting guard on duty to watch over all of us, however that guard is gone to assist with pushing the pesky Heart kingdom mages away.

   There were screams all around us, screams of anguish, screams of pain, screams of victory. Bodies were flying and a multitude of elements were cast around the barren field we claimed as our hideout. I couldn't observe the fight too long though, or I'd loose sight of Erica.

   Together, she and I ran through the woods at the very edge of the heart kingdom to seek refuge. All over our bodies, little cuts began to form on exposed skin from branches with sharp edges smacking violently against our skin. I could feel my hair matting up with leaves and twigs that latched onto my hair and stayed as I ran.

   "AH!" Erica suddenly screams loudly as she trips against an uplifted root and winches when she grabs her ankle. The echo seems to go on for hours and we're breaking heavily to catch out breath.

   "Fuck... here." I bend down and swiftly but gently move her ankle to inspect it. A sprain, quick and simple to fix. White light surrounds my finger tips and I gently press them onto her ankle. Within a few seconds, she's healed.

   "We have to hurry. Who knows who heard that scream." I whisper and help Erica stand. 

   "Yea who knows indeed." A voice invades our ears and Erica and I turn in shock, a Heart mage stood there with what seems to be 20 or more soldiers behind her.

   "Take them prisoner." Is the apparent leader's command.

   "Herb magic: Sleeping Bomb!" Erica's voice shouts and a plant sprouts from the ground in front of the rushing crew and begins emitting a thin and barely visible gas to the crowd.

   I grab her wrist and turn to run before I even hear the first body fall, sound asleep till the day they die.

   That, however, isn't enough to make them stop. Those who make it through, begin to cast spells at us. Sinkholes that we just barely are able to jump over, boulders that we dodge with a hair of space between us. The barrage of attacks seems endless as we run.

   When we make it onto a clearing, we find that instead of running away from danger, we ran to it. The Diamond generals are in a one sided face off against the Heart's soldiers. They've very nearly defeated the Heart, save for a few pesky and powerful mages.

"AH!" I hear Erica scream again behind me and turn to a horrifying scene. One of the fire spells casted landed on her and I watched in terror as it spread from her leg throughout her body, knowing that my weak Paper magic would not be able to save her.

"H-help." Her voice trails off weakly and she falls to the ground - still burning. My vision blurs and the heat becomes hotter as I move closer to her body but am forced back by magic spells being cast my way.

A giant hammer swings down and crushed the opposing soldiers out of nowhere. The fire around Erica's body disappears since the caster is dead and I quickly fall to my knees and crawl to her body and attempt to use my paper magic to heal her body, but I know the second my papers attach that her pulse is gone and I'm too late.

"[y/n]. Crying in the middle of battle will kill you." A familiar voice sternly says behind me.

"She's dead. I couldn't save her."

"Then save yourself." He says and I turn to see him already facing me. "I can only keep these people away for so long. They're like insects coming back repeatedly."

I nod and stand. I wipe my tears before I turn and my eyes widen in alarm.

"Look out !!" I scream and throw my hand up to put up a stretchy paper barrier behind Mars, the same barrier I use to cover severe wounds. It repels the water attack aimed towards him and bounces onto Heart soldiers trying to sneak up on us.

"Good. Now stay close, and cover my back." Mars pulls me close and we're suddenly maneuvering through the fight in an armored crystal body. With this armor, Mars quickly finishes the ongoing fight and we claim this land in the name of the Diamond Kingdom.

"Thank you." I look at him from my position beside him and he looks down to me and nods. The crystal armor slowly dissolves and we're on the ground with fellow soldiers to begin going home.

Not knowing what to do, I begin to follow him quietly to the group of Diamond soldiers regrouping now that the fight is over.

"I heard your skills as a medic are good. I received an injury. Heal it." Mars' voice is monotone and he turns to reveal a bleeding wound on his arm.

"Of course." I saw and quickly set to work, as soon as I finish, right when I'm about to ask him why he saved me, I get called away to help heal injured soldiers.

"Thank you again." I bow politely and turn away from the man I'd grown even more fond of.

~
A/N: I'm sorry this is so bad 😓 I have writers block and I can't figure out how else to write Mars :(( I hope it was somewhat enjoyable at the very least ! Maybe I'll rewrite it when I'm able to write better ,,, Thank you for reading :) as always votes and comments are appreciated. I think for now I'll close requests.