5

That wasn't the last time Oscar asked me to do something with him. He seemed eager to spend time with me alone. And I wasn't averse to it.

Already in the first days we noticed that we got along quite well. Except our daily arguments of course.

But we weren't able to realize our plan to do something together for a long time.

Something, or someone, always came up. Amelie was probably the biggest disruptive factor. Which seemed to annoy Oscar more and more.

He didn't know the real reason Amelie reacted like that. She didn't just want to protect me from making a mistake, because she's a good friend. She also didn't want to see me being with someone else, except her.

Still, sometimes Oscar and I could sneak away and spend time together. One morning Amelie slept very long in. Oscar and I took the chance and went to have breakfast together at a diner near home. Also, we cooked dinner together almost every evening. And when Amelie was asleep, I often snuck back into the living room to watch TV or play Playstation with him.

As a result, we became quite close. Even others started to notice how we joked around and even flirted with each other. Especially Amelie and Cesar, who often saw us hugging or me sitting on Oscar's lap, started to become suspicious.

But something else, that doesn't fit in the definition of a friendship, didn't happen. This was ensured by Amelie's constant supervision.

One morning, I had an argument with Oscar because the house looked like a dump. Therefore, I made my way out with a trash bag in my hand to throw it in the garbage can on the street.

As I closed the lid of the garbage can, I noticed that Cesar and his friends were standing nearby.

I smiled and walked in their direction.
Elly: „Hey guys! What's going on?"

Jamal seemed panicked. He jumped around and pulled me by my arm behind a bush. With his finger in front of his mouth, he gestured for me to be quiet.

So I continued whispering
Elly: „What's going on?"

Jamal whispered very fast.
Jamal: „Ruby is about to talk with Oscar. He will probably fuck it up and die. So we don't want Oscar to spot us."

Their venture sounded very weird to me, so I just raised my eyebrows and nodded in confusion.

Suddenly we heard two gunshots. Quite near to us.

Cesar and his friends were completely chilled about it

Cesar and his friends were completely chilled about it. They even made a game out of it and tried to guess which kind of gun it was. A 44 as they said.

I wasn't so chilled about the fact that someone just used a gun so near to us. I was very shocked. I never heard a real gunshot before and it was much louder than I imagined. There's still much to learn about America.

Ruby: „I think that was a sign. God doesn't want me to go in there. He's warning me."

Monse: „Don't back up now, Ruby. Be a man!"
Jamal: „Or as close as you get to it."
Ruby: „Nice how you both can joke while my life's literally on the line!"
Monse: „Ruby, go!"