18

Elly: "Come on, it's just 20$."

Mother: "I said no."

Elly: "Pleeeaaassseee."

Mother: "Elly, no! Do you think money grows on trees?"

Elly: "Technically...-"

Father: "Listen to your mother. Don't you get paid anyway today? Your first two weeks at Dwayne's are over, right?"

Elly: "True. Today after my shift I get paid."
A few days after the dance I started to work at Dwayne's Joint BBQ and today was my first payday. I was excited.

Elly: "It's just, I wanted to buy something for Ruby to cheer him up. He's not been himself since the dance. He's all depressed."

Father: "And you can do that. Today. After your shift. With the money you earned."

Elly: "Okay, okay. I anyway got to get going or I'll be late. Bye."

At work everything was normal. I cleared tables, took orders and brought stuff from the back.

But then Jamal got a call. It was Mario, Ruby's brother. He was worried about Ruby and asked Jamal to help him out.

Jamal was torn. On the one hand, he wanted to help his friend. On the other hand, he didn't want to get in more trouble with his dad.

Jamal: "I know. You go!"

Elly: "Me? But I'm working."

Jamal: "Yeah, but my father loves you. He won't be angry with you."

Elly: "Yeah, maybe that's because I actually do the work I'm paid to do and don't complain all the time."

Jamal: "Or maybe it's because you are white."

I furrowed my brows in confusion.
Elly: "That doesn't even make any sense!"

Jamal: "Aha! The white privilege talking."

Elly: "Oh my God! Stop. I will go to Ruby, but stop with this bullshit!

Jamal smiled smugly. He got what he wanted.

Elly: "But I'll tell your father that you made me go. And that I couldn't say no because of your position as acting boss."

Jamal: "Fine!"

Elly: "Fine."

A few minutes later, I entered Ruby's house. It was quiet, I just heard voices out of Ruby's room. So that's where I was headed.

Ruby was sitting on his bed and Oscar was standing next to him. I was very surprised.

Elly: "Oh no..."

Oscar looked as shocked as me, but then he quickly put on his annoyed face.
Oscar: "You..."

I rolled my eyes.
Elly: "Sorry my king that I bother you with my very existence."

Now he rolled his eyes.
Ruby: "What are you doing here anyway?"

Elly: "Jamal sent me to check on you. But as I can see, I'm not needed here anymore."

Oscar: "So you taking orders from Jamal now?" What's his problem... "I thought just your pimp does that."

He didn't just say that. Ruby looked as surprised as me. We haven't spoken in months and that's the first thing he says to me? I can't even describe how many bad words came in my mind in this moment.

Elly: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Oscar: "Well, New Years? You dressed like a whore, you acted like a whore, you got men all over you like a whore. I concluded that you might chose this job career for yourself."