26

The crew made no headway with their investigation into Lil 'Ricky, but I was busy with other things.

My school offered me to take summer courses to finish Highschool already this year. 'Cause I was ahead of the other students in my class since the education in Germany is a little better than here. I was busy weighing up if I should finish school earlier or take one year more and enjoy the summer.

A girl from my class, Theresa, who was also offered to skip a year, visited me today so we could discuss if it's a good idea or not.

We sat in my kitchen at the table and talked about it for a while and decided to both take the summer courses.

Theresa: „Good that we both do that. I wouldn't want to be alone there."
Elly: „Yes, I am also glad. And it's cool to finish school earlier."
Theresa: „Now to the interesting topics. How is everything with Spooky? It's crazy you are together with him."

I interrupted her and shook my head no quickly since my parents sat in the living room near us. I hoped they didn't hear that.

My hope was not fulfilled. The moment Theresa left the house, my parents stood in front of me.

Dad: „We have to talk. Let's sit in the kitchen."

We headed to the kitchen in awkward silence and sat down

Mom: „Who's Spooky?"

Elly: „That's a pledge question, right? You heard that Theresa said I'm with him."

Mom: „Yes. And we know who this Spooky is. We heard about him and met him already."

Dad: „Elly, we are worried that he's not good for you."

Mom: „He is definitely not good for you. When we met him at New Years to search for you, we saw with what kind of people he hangs. And the rumors you hear on the street about him are scary."

Elly: „But he's not like that. Really. He had a difficult life and did things he's not proud of. But he did them to survive and to care for his brother. And now it's difficult for him to get out of all that, even though he really wants to."

Mom: „But you can't expect us to accept you being with a gang member with tattoos all over his body and a huge criminal record."

Elly: „Mom, dad, I understand you are worried and that you imagined something else for me, but in the end it is my decision. I love this man. Very much. And nothing will change something about that. Also not your opinion. But it would be much nicer for everyone if you could try to accept it. He is really no bad guy when you get to know him."

It was quiet for some seconds. I was very nervous about their reaction and the silence was killing me.

Mom: „I- I don't know what to think or say at the moment. It's much to process."

Dad: „Well... I kind of believe you that he loves you. When we saw him at New Years and said that you disappeared, he was very worried and even searched for you."

Mom: „But still, do we really want our daughter to live in such a lifestyle?"

Dad: „But she's right. In the end it's her choice. And a man who lives in an unfitting environment, but loves her, cares for her and is willing to change himself is better than a man who has his life fixed, but isn't serious with her. We should at least give him a chance."

In this moment I was so happy to have my father. My calm father who tries to see the good in people always. I had that from him.

My mother was a tougher case. She thought about my father's words.