20

Today was a Saturday which meant I had a shift at Dwayne's. I was helping the cook flipping burgers.

The last days were calm. Oscar didn't bother me again. The reason for that was probably that I just left the house for school and work. And almost nobody had the number of my new phone, so nobody could call me.

I was sure Oscar would leave me in peace now.
But like usual, I spoke too soon.

I went to the front to clear some tables and who I saw coming through the door? Oscar and his homies.

I wanted to rush to the back, but Dwayne walked in the way.
Dwayne: "Elly, I don't need you in the back today. You are working front."

Elly: "I know, I just thought I could..."

Dwayne: "Could what?"

I sighed. Hide from my ex cause he's crazy.
Elly: "Nothing."

Dwayne looked at me confused.
Dwayne: "Okay, then keep going. There are new costumers waiting."
He motioned at the table Oscar and his homies sat down a minute before.

Of course...
I took four menus and trotted over to the table.

With my most fake friendly voice, I greeted them.
Elly: "Hi, welcome to Dwayne's Joint BBQ. Here are the menus." I handed them over. "Can I get you something to drink already or you need more time?"

Oscar: "We'll take four cokes."
I wrote down their order.

Elly: "All right. I'll get them for you right away."

I turned around and went to the kitchen quickly. There I took a deep breath.

You'll be fine. You'll get through this day like you get through every other day. Just keep swimming.

I filled up four cokes and took them to Oscar's table. When everyone had their glass, I took out my paper and pen again.

Elly: "You had a chance to decide what you want to eat?"

They placed their orders and I took back the menus. When Oscar handed me his, our fingers brushed against each others.

The feeling went through my whole body and felt like an electric shock. I'm sure I blushed hard in that moment.

I went to the kitchen and told the cook the new orders. Till the food was ready I took the orders of two other tables.

When the cook shouted the number of Oscar's table, I picked the food up and carried it to their table.

Elly: "Here's your food. Enjoy. And just call for me in case you need something else."

I was about to turn around.
Oscar: "Actually, there is something I need."

I would like to punch him in his stupid grinning face.
Elly: "Yeah? What is it?"

Oscar: "Your new number."

Elly: "Sorry. Food services only."

Oscar: "Okay then, I would like to have a burger with a paper on top on which you write your new number."

I rolled my eyes.
Elly: "I'm sorry, we are not allowed to share personal information with customers."

I turned around and rushed to the kitchen. Unfortunately the cook finished another order I needed to bring out front. Why can't I hide back here for 5 minutes?

I took the plates and went to another table. Two men were sitting there.

Elly: "Hi, here's your food. Enjoy."
I smiled at them.