30

The next morning after I woke up, I checked my phone. I had tons of messages and some missed calls.

1 missed call from Oscar.
Oscar: „Hey, mi amor. You are probably asleep already. I just wanted to let you know that I am at home and safe."
Oscar: „We caught the guy who did that to you. He learned his lesson."
Oscar: „I'll sleep when you wake up, but come over if you want."
Oscar: „Love you very much, mi amor."
Oscar: „I miss you next to me in the bed."

2 missed calls from Cesar.
Cesar: „Something happened. Monse got a call that her mother died."

Jamal: „I want to prepare a mourning bag for Monse. Do you think one or two chocolates?"
Jamal: „Forget it, one can never have enough chocolate."
Jamal: „What else should I pack? Tissues, waterproof mascara, alcohol?"
1 missed call from Jamal.

Ruby: „Did you hear from Monse's mother?"
Ruby: „I know how she feels... it's horrible."
Ruby: „We need to be there for her, but as I know Monse she will push us away."

I was shocked. Monse's mother was young and healthy, why she died?

I tried to call Monse, but nobody answered. I wrote her a message.
Elly: „If you need someone to talk to, I am here. Any time, any place."

I couldn't do anything at the moment. She needed time to accept the loss and time to be sad and cry.

I decided to spend time with my family today. Such a loss makes you question everything. I didn't see my parents and sister so often these days and I regretted it at that moment. Our time together was precious and I wanted to enjoy it.

Two days later the funeral of Monse's mother took place. I asked Monse if she wants me to be there, but she said that it's not necessary since I didn't even know her mother.

Everybody else was busy so I went to Oscar. He wasn't home, but texted me that he will be there soon, so I waited for him.

I took something to drink and sat in the living room watching TV. After some time, nature was calling and I needed to go to the bathroom.

On my way back from the bathroom, I heard Cesar and his father talking in Cesar's room.

Ray helped Cesar to do his tie.
Ray: „You're a good kid. I'm proud of you."
I was sure Oscar never heard these words from his father...

Cesar: „Thank you."

Ray: „I had a shitty dad. Never thought I'd be a good one. You know the old saying... You don't get to choose your parents. Well, truth is you don't really get to choose your kids either. If I could, I'd choose you, mijo."

I heard enough and went back to the living room. I was angry. Ray got some nerves to talk like that.

After Cesar left I needed to confront Ray with that.
Elly: „So... I heard you and Cesar talking. You think it's fair to talk about him as the good son and Oscar as the bad one?"

Ray: „I didn't say that."

Elly: „But you meant it. And I don't think it's very fair or well thought out. You crushed Oscar. He was still young this time. You left him without a father, without a role model, without support. He still made his way and survived out here. Maybe he needed to do shit to survive, but it was necessary. Not even for himself, but for his little brother. Oscar knew what family meant at a young age, when you still didn't figure it out. And now you are out here choosing who's the better son? Fuck that. You destroy your son's life and still expect him to be thankful for you? Oscar didn't choose this life for himself. You made him like that with putting all responsibility on his shoulders, not leaving him place to be himself. He did what was necessary, even if it goes against his dreams and wishes. Something you never even considered. Because he's not like you. He's not irresponsible and egoistic. He is generous, good-hearted and smart. And using your shitty dad as an excuse won't make it better. Oscar also had a shitty dad, but he will be a great father in the future. He proved it by raising Cesar. Yes, exactly! Cesar, the one you admire so much, he's not great like that out of nowhere. You owe that to Oscar. He put him in school, he cared about him, he was always at his side, he provided for him. So how about you give credit where it's due."

With these words I left the room and lay in Oscar's bed. The tears started running down my face.

It wasn't out of sadness or anger. I always need to cry when I'm experiencing someone getting mistreated or treated unfairly.

Oscar was a good person. A good man. And nobody saw that. Everyone demonized him and ignored the good in him and his actions. It made me furious.

Oscar wrote me that he met Cuchillos and 19th Street. He said for today he got it all handled and that he will come home to me now.

Some minutes after, I heard his car pulling up. Then I heard his heavy steps entering the door of the house.

I expected him to come to me, but he didn't. So I went out of the bedroom to check on him.

I saw Ray packing his bag and Oscar standing in front of him.
Oscar: „Finally cleaning up your mess?"

Ray: „I'm leaving. Caused enough drama here."
I couldn't believe it. He's doing it again. I worried that my argument with him caused that.

Ray: „Dwayne doesn't need any more problems and neither do you guys."

Oscar: „We don't. How'd Cesar take it?"

Ray : „Gonna tell him when I get to Bakersfield. There's a guy there who's helping me out. He can help you too."
Did he really try to be a good father now? Maybe my words really did something to him.

Oscar: „I don't need help. I got everything I need."

Ray: „The Santos?"

Oscar: „They are more than you've ever been."

Ray: „I hope they don't sell you out. There's gonna be a day, when the hood don't love you no more, when your power's taken, 'cause this isn't a life and you don't have to stay here. You can make other choices, be something you want to be."

Oscar: „Thanks, Papa. You're right. I could be president. Or an astronaut. Or a movie star. I can be anything I want to be because I had such a good role model!"

Ray: „I had a shitty dad too, mijo, but you got to let go of that rage."

Oscar: „Let it go? It's the only thing that keeps me going. It's how I survived out here. Without you."

Ray: „I'll see you around."
Ray took his bag and went out the door.
Oscar followed him outside, almost crying and full of anger.

Oscar: „So I'm supposed to tell Cesar you are leaving? You're just putting that on me? Hey, piece of shit! Everything bad that's ever happened in my life is because of you. You're going to crush him the same way you crushed me."
Ray turned around to Oscar.

Oscar: „Why didn't you ever write to me? Or call? Did you ever even think of me? It would have been a lot easier if you'd just died."
Ray walked towards Oscar.

His voice was breaking.
Oscar: „You know, the worst about growing up without a father is having to be a father to a brother without ever being a son."

Oscar was extremely vulnerable at the moment. A side not many people got so see from him. Ray hugged him.

After hesitating, Oscar returned the hug and started to cry.

It broke my heart to see him suffering like that. When Ray wanted to move in here and Oscar didn't want it, I convinced him. I told him that maybe his father changed. And even if he didn't change, maybe the whole situation will being closure to Oscar. And I think that's what's happening now.

The hug lasted many seconds. They both needed it. But then Oscar pushed Ray away.
Oscar: „Pick up your shit and don't come back."

And then Ray left.

Please don't forget to upvote and/or comment if you like the story. I would appreciate it ☺️