37

Elly's view

Oscar: „I didn't have much hope that you could convince him, but I'm still frustrated. I really hoped there would be a chance."

Elly: „I tried my best. I promise. But you know Cesar. He has a head like a rock. Like his brother."

Oscar: „I still need to find a way to reach him. Maybe I can ask Sad Eyes. He's a Santo and a good friend of Cesar. Maybe he can warn him."

Elly: „Exactly, Oscar. Sad Eyes is a Santo. That means he won't do you a favor by meeting you."

Oscar scratched his head thoughtfully.
Oscar: „Maybe he wouldn't do me a favor. But he would definitely do you a favor."

Elly: „What makes you think that?"

Oscar: „Oh come on Elly. Don't act like you don't know that he's madly in love with you since day one."

I blushed.
Elly: „Madly in love is maybe an exaggeration, but it's true that I'm on his good side."

Oscar: „Exactly. That's why you should give it a try. I mean, it's my hermanitos life we are talking about here."

I left the room to talk to Sad Eyes. Shortly afterwards I came back to the living room. Oscar looked up at me with big eyes. He looked like a small child.

Elly: „Tomorrow around midday at the park."

Oscar stood up quickly and hugged me.
Oscar: „Thank you, mi amor."

The next day around midday we arrived at the place Sad Eyes wanted to meet us. Oscar wasn't sure if it's a good idea that I came with him, but I was sure. If the two of em wanted to start a fight, I could stop it. Not sure how, but I would find a way. Acting like my water broke is always a classic.

We saw Sad Eyes waiting for us at a quiet road, just a bike passed near us. He smoked and looked in the other direction. When we got out of the car, he noticed us and looked surprised.

I decided to stay near the car, but Oscar walked over to Sad Eyes.
Oscar: „Hey."
Sad Eyes: „Oh shit, man."

He pointed at the car.
Sad Eyes: „You got orange slices in that mom-mobile?"
Oscar looked to the car and chuckled.

Sad Eyes: „Shit. Thought I was getting rolled up on by some little kids."

Sad Eyes took another drag of his cigarette and tried to avoid looking at Oscar. He was clearly uncomfortable.
Sad Eyes: „Look, man. I shouldn't be here, so let's go. Talk."

Oscar: „Look. I get that you're salty."

Sad Eyes: „Out of sight, out of mind. You're not even a thing. I came here because Elly asked me to and I could never say no to her. Not because of you."

There was a small silent break between them.
Sad Eyes: „This was a bad idea."

Sad Eyes snipped his cigarette with his fingers away, turned around and took some steps to leave.

Oscar: „They found her."
He stopped in his track.
Sad Eyes: „Cuchillos?"

Oscar: „They don't know who she is yet, but when they do, you know what's gonna happen. I need you to look out for my brother."

Sad Eyes: „Why? He's been handling his own."
Oscar: „Really? By not telling you? He knows."
Sad Eyes: „He never said shit to me."

Oscar: „'Cause he doesn't understand the way things work. He has no idea what's coming. The shit that's about to pop off. And he's not the only one it can land on."

Sad Eyes: „I got you, man."
With these words Sad Eyes turned around and went off. And also Oscar walked back to the car.

Elly: „Everything alright?"
Oscar: „We'll see about that. But it's a start."
He started the motor and we drove home.

Later that day Oscar and I sat on the couch and watched TV. He massaged my feet and suddenly I felt our little girl kicking very strong inside my stomach for the first time.

Immediately I took Oscar's hands and put them on my stomach so he could feel his little angel too.

He was fascinated and I could see the happiness in his eyes. After the rough years Oscar had, I was relieved to finally see him happy again.

Unfortunately this perfect little moment didn't last very long. Suddenly we heard glass shattering and people shouting.

Oscar jumped up and turned off the light. From one moment to another I saw a gun in his hand and he pushed me away from the window.

While watching him leaving the house a quote from Snoop Dog came to my mind. „You can take your boy out the hood but you can't take the hood out the homie."

And it's true. Not important if we live the next 20 years in the calmest neighborhood of the country, Oscar would still react like that. Traumatic experiences like he lived through leave a mark on the soul.

I couldn't see what was going on because I followed Oscar's orders and stayed down on the floor. Not just my life was in danger, I was also responsible for the life of my baby. And her's I would never dare to even risk.

If I wasn't totally wrong, I recognized the voices shouting outside. I heard Cesar and Sad Eyes, but I couldn't hear what they were talking about.

Still I could imagine what they were doing here. Sad Eyes told Cesar about his meeting with Oscar and now they were here to send Oscar a warning to keep himself out of the Santo-business since he's no Santo anymore.

When Oscar came back from outside, he was breathing heavily. He was obviously upset and mumbled something about going to Cesar to hash the situation out.

I knew if he really goes to Cesar now, something worse will happen than just our car getting destroyed.

I tried to stop him, but he didn't want to listen. I stood in his way, but he just pushed past me.

The second he wanted to go out through the door, I knew I needed to remember him of a feeling bigger than the worry about his brother, the love for his daughter.
Elly: „You're holding onto someone who isn't there. But you know who is? Your daughter."

After a short moment of complete silence in which my heart beat louder than ever before from the panic I felt, he turned back to me, threw his keys away and kissed me on the forehead.
Oscar: „I'm so sorry."

I had Oscar back. And in this moment I realized how much more I was in love with this person since he said good bye to Spooky and let Oscar be himself.

Please don't forget to upvote and/or comment if you like the story. I would appreciate it ☺️