10: Ballad

It's now December and a week before Christmas break, to say that I was looking forward to flying to Puerto Rico for this Christmas was exciting is an understatement. I finally get to spend some time with the rest of my family and actually see the beach. But before that, of course, my parents are hosting their own gala for their business partners and some family coming over. The only good thing this year? They are finally allowing me to invite a friend with me, so I'm inviting Santana as my plus one.

"Can I just please live here?" Santana said as she looked at my clothes. With the amounts of galas that my parents host, I have a shit ton of gowns and dresses that are just kept in here because they buy at least 3 new ones a month. "Can I have this?"

I looked up to see her holding up a black dress that I used last year. I nodded my head and went back to writing a song that I have been working on. "Yeah sure, I won't use it anymore anyway."

"Why do you keep all these dresses?"

"In case I don't like the new dress they buy me, I could always go back and check what I have here."

She crawled towards me on the bed causing me to grin at her. I leaned down to peck her lips before going back to what I was doing. "That's it?"

"Beggars can't be choosers," I smirked at her, making her smack my arm, causing me to lean my head back and laugh.

"Fuck you."

"No thank you."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

We watched Mr. Shue write "BALLAD" on the whiteboard, before turning towards us with a creepy smile. "Ballad. From Middle English, balade. Who knows what this word means?"

"It's a male duck." I looked at Brittany and gave her a soft smile.

"Absolutely brilliant honey."

Ignoring the blonde cheerleader, Mr. Scue called on Kurt. "Kurt."

"A ballad is a love song." He said confidently.

"Sometimes, but they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music—which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, now, sectionals are in a few weeks and there's a new rule this year– we have to perform... a ballad."

Rachel, who was in front of me, looked smug. "Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off!"

I rolled my eyes and watched in amusement as Puck avoided eye contact with the singer beside him. "Okay. So here's our assignment for the week: I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it."

I cringed up my nose at the idea of singing a ballad with someone here. I'm not in the mood for this honestly.

"I pick Quinn," Finn said from where he was sitting, beside Quinn, making me smile softly at the two.

But Mr. Schue immediately turned him down. "No, no, no. Too easy. Your partners will be chosen by fate."

I grinned, looking at each one of them, suddenly interested. "Ooh!"

"Ooh, yeah. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner."

Brittany leaned into Santana and I whispered, "I bet the duck's in the hat." making me giggle and nod my head, giving my best friend the support she needs.

Santana glanced at Britt and me before raising her hand to get the teacher's attention. "But we're an odd number."

"Well then, I have to put my name in the hat for now. Who's up first?" We started drumming our hands on our lap, adding to the tension as each of them take turns going to the hat.