21: Funk (2)

It's 6 in the morning and I am moving around the kitchen, making coffee for Maya, Andy, and me. They were in charge of cooking breakfast, despite me protesting because I am fully capable of doing it myself, but they like "babying" me.

"You better not be overworking yourself, Mitch," Andy said as she buttered the toasts.

I looked at her from my shoulder and sighed. "Not that I have done much of that anyway with you both in my kitchen."

"Just relax and continue making that coffee, I know you could cook breakfast on your own but let us do this."

"Plus you love my scrambled eggs."

I sighed and poured the coffee into our mugs. "Last time I checked none of you had eggs, let alone it being scrambled." I ignored their stern looks as I rested my hand on my hip to look at what Maya was cooking. "And your eggs are burnt."

Maya sighed and started putting it in the trash. "Dammit."

I grabbed more eggs from the fridge and started making scrambled eggs for the three of us. They both sat in the dining area, watching me cook. "Maya, I could hear your thoughts from here, spill it."

"I met someone." 

Andy and I looked at each other intrigued. Andy leaned on her elbows, looking at Maya suggestively. I got the eggs out and started putting them on a plate before sitting down and looking at Maya the same way. "Spill."

"Do I happen to know this person?"

Maya looked at me and shrugged. "I don't know, I'm pretty sure you've seen her. Her name is Carina DeLuca. And she's inviting you over next week."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Okay, Quinn, it's your day to show us your funky side. So, take it away." I gave Quinn a whoop as she walked up the front to prepare for her performance. She gave me a smile, ignoring the odd looks she was receiving from the other members of the glee club.

She walked confidently, rubbing her hugely pregnant belly. "For some of us, just simply getting to class takes a little bit longer. When you're pregnant, you're responsible for two lives. And you're walking down the hallway oppressed by the man.

"Oh, my goodness, she is not about to go there."

"Hearing people call you fat. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes you have to stop and hold that precious life and say no." 

A bunch of other pregnant people started walking into the room, leaving me confused. And obviously, a bunch of other people is also confused because I heard Artie say, "This is offensive. Who are these girls?"

"We're the "Unwed Mothership Connection." And that's what we're here to sing about."

I watched everybody walk over to Quinn and hug her. I didn't want to crowd her more so I kept sitting there, giving her a reassuring smile, one that she returned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DEFENSE MOVE IT!" I ran to the middle of the field, wearing my pink mesh jersey as we did a small scrimmage. I made eye contact with Sabrina, one of my midfielders, as I raised my hand. "RIDGE! MARK GARCIA!"

Sabrina passed me the ball and I caught it by my foot, sprinting towards the goal, happy to see that my defense was finally doing their job. Once I knew I was close enough, I shot the ball through the higher right side of the goal.