22: Journey to the Regionals (2)

While the rest of the New Directions went back to the competition, Michelle decided to stay with Quinn while Judy went and signed some paperwork. She took a seat beside her best friend, her phone in hand as she would nervously take a glance at it every once in a while.

Quinn noticed the anxious demeanor she had on and reached over to grab her hand. "Let's try to keep your mind off of everything okay, let's talk about something else." Once she had the go signal from Mitch, she sat up, giving her all of her attention. "So, any plans for summer?"

"I'll be flying to Missouri to spend some time with Becky, then we might fly over to Florida for Ashlyn and get some beach time. Hopefully camp, then I have this thing in Poland."

"Really? What is it?" Quinn asked curiously. She did not know a lot about her classical background, probably because Michelle hates talking about herself in general, let alone the different competitions her mother seems to keep dragging her to.

"12th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition in Poznań, so 2 whole weeks of being stuck with my mom in another continent. It's great I guess, representing our country."

Quinn looked at her, confusion was evident on her face. "You mean you're the only one from the US?"

Michelle hummed and nodded her head. They continued talking to each other for a while until Quinn stopped talking all of a sudden, and just stared at Michelle as she checked her phone one more time. "So... you and Finn?"

At the mention of the Quarterback's name, Michelle's head snapped up, giving Quinn a questioning look. "What about Finn and I?"

"That's done right?" Quinn asked, trying to be discreet.

Mitch looked at Quinn through her long lashes, wondering why the blonde was bringing it up right now. "Yeah, have you seen him making out with Rachel the other day? Disgusting. Plus, I feel like it's for the best. I don't really see both of us working out in the future anyway." She put her feet up on the bed and put her head back. "Why'd you ask?"

"Nothing..." Quinn took this time to study Mitch, the dark circles under her eyes, her cheekbones that lay prominently on her face, the sharp jawline, the muscular arms, she was thin but not as thin as she was a few months ago which Quinn was thankful for. "I uh... I have to tell you something."

Michelle looked at Quinn expectantly but before Quinn could even open her mouth, her phone rang.

It was Santana.

She looked up at Quinn apologetically, waiting for Quinn's okay signal before she picked the phone up. "Any news about Regionals? Is it done?"

"Yeah, and I come bearing bad news."

Michelle felt her heart sink, and by the look on her face, Quinn knew that it did not go well for them. "Did we place at least?"

The silence on the other side of the phone was enough for Mitch to know the answer. Taking a deep shaky breath, she abruptly said goodbye and faced Quinn.

"Bed news, we didn't place." Mitch put her hands on her face, covering it, and resting her elbow on the edge of the bed. "Things are really not looking up right now."

Quinn held her hand, trying to give her best friend some comfort.

Michelle looked up when she remembered that Quinn was going to tell her something. "I'm sorry, what were you going to say?"

"Uh..." Quinn was about to continue, but Michelle's phone rang once again.

Mitch put her finger up, giving her an apologetic smile, before standing up and going to the corner of the room to answer the phone.