Snuggles - Peter Parker

"May!" my mother squealed when we walked through the door, immediately leaving my side and running forward to give Aunt May - who met her greeting with an equal amount of enthusiasm - a hug. "Oh my word, the house looks wonderful," my mom gushed, holding Aunt May at an arm's length.

My mom and Aunt May had been best friends their entire lives. They'd met in high school and when they found out they got into the same college, moved to New York together. Before they moved, my mom and I lived next door to Aunt May's apartment and she babysat me all the time, and had been watching me the day she'd gotten the news about Peter's parents. I was really little when it happened, but I remembered the day like it happened yesterday. 

My mom had left for a work trip two days before and I was told I'd be staying with Aunt May and Uncle Ben while she was gone. I loved being with Aunt May and Uncle Ben, so the idea of living with them for a whole week was the best thing that had ever happened in my five short years of existence. Uncle Ben was at work and Aunt May and I had been sitting at the table playing cards - she was teaching me how to play Crazy Eights.

We were halfway through the game when Aunt May got the call. All the color drained from her face and as soon as she hung up, she dropped her phone and just screamed. I'd never heard a scream filled with such anguish and pain in my life. I ran up and gave her a hug, trying to wipe the tears from her face and ask her what happened, but Aunt May just held me tighter and cried. 

After a few minutes, Aunt May composed herself and I asked her if something was wrong with my mom, which made her realize how worried I was as well. 

"No sweetie," she told me solemnly. "Your mommy is ok."

"Then how come you're so sad?"

"My brother and sister went up to Heaven," she choked out, patting my head.

"Oh." I pursed my lips together, trying to comprehend what Aunt May had just told me. "Are they with my daddy now?"

"Yeah," she chuckled sadly, still crying. "They're with your daddy now." 

After that, she picked me up and put me in the car, telling me that we had to pick up her nephew, and that was the first time I met Peter. May told me not to talk about what had happened to his parents until she had a chance to tell him. Even though I'd been too young to really understand what death meant, I knew that it was something that meant Peter wouldn't see his parents again, which was enough for me to nod yes, because I hadn't seen my dad since I was two. 

Peter and I spent the whole ride back to Aunt May's apartment talking about Iron Man. Peter was wearing a shirt with the hero on it and we just kept talking about how cool he was. "When I grow up, I wanna be just like Iron Man," Peter had told me, puffing his chest out proudly as he did so.

When we got back, Aunt May told me to go to my room while she talked to Peter. I remember Peter asking a lot of questions, May trying to explain, and eventually, hearing Peter cry. 

"Peter?" I whispered groggily, squinting as I struggled to make out his form on the bed across from me. 

After Aunt May told Peter, he'd asked to be left alone and went into this room, which we happened to be sharing while I was staying with them. By the time I had to go to bed, Peter was already asleep and I drifted off soon after, but Peter's sniffles woke up me. 

He didn't answer, I got out of my bed and walked towards his, poking him on the shoulder. "Peter? Are you ok," I whispered again, saddened by his sniffles. 

Peter turned to face me, clutching a small teddy bear with tears in his eyes. "I miss my mom and dad," he whimpered, hugging the bear closer.

"Do you want me to get Aunt May?"

"No." Peter shook his head violently. "She's sad too. I don't want to bother her."

"Well then scooch over," I instructed, walking back over to my bed to grab a pillow.

"Why," he asked as he moved over and I wormed my way under the sheets.

"Because you shouldn't have to be sad by yourself," I answered. 

Peter spent some time talking about how he missed his parents and I tried to comfort him to the best of my ability. I told him about my dad and we both found some solace in the thought that our parents were together, and we talked for so long that night we didn't fall asleep until the sun came up.

Peter and I decided that we were best friends that night and saw each other almost every day since we live in the same building. Or, we did, until Peter moved. Happy and May got married about a month ago and just moved into their new house last week, but this is the first time my mom and I had a chance to come over. 

"Hey Aunt May!" I smiled as she walked over to give me a hug. "Where's Peter?"

"Taking a nap. He had a really long day at work," May winked, rubbing her elbow against mine. May and I both knew that Peter was Spider-Man but my mom didn't, and Aunt May is the farthest thing from subtle there is. 

"Oh ok," I responded, laughing at May's antics. "We were just going to do homework anyway so if it's cool with you can I go into the study and work on it while I wait?"

"Sure, dear. It's the first door at the top of the stairs. Peter's room is right across from it."

I went up to the study, did the little bit of chemistry homework I had left, and contemplated starting my English essay, but Beowulf was the least of my interests at the moment, so I decided to go see if Peter was awake instead.

Slowing pushing the door to his room open, I saw his chest rising and falling slowly, a yawn escaping my mouth after he didn't answer when I whispered his name. "Might as well take a nap too," I mumbled to myself.  Heading towards Peter's closet, I grabbed a pair of his gym shorts and a t-shirt, not wanting to sleep in my jeans. I went into the bathroom and changed, leaving my folded clothes on the countertop.

I lifted the sheets and got into bed next to Peter, the movement causing him to stir. His eyes fluttered open for a moment, a lopsided, sleepy grin plastered on his face when he realized I was the intruder in his room. Peter, now with a content smile on this face, closed his eyes again, but he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer.

"Hey sunshine," he murmured quietly, planting a gentle kiss on my forehead. 

"Do you remember that day we first met," I asked, running my finger down Peter's arm as I spoke.

His eyes flickered open. "I do," he sighed, shifting closer. "It was the same day my parents died. You were the one ray of sunshine on the worst day of my life."

I smiled at this. "Do you remember the car ride after we picked you up from school?"

"Not really," Peter admitted. "Why?"

"You told me you wanted to be just like Iron Man," I said, giggling when Peter laughed. "That was when I decided I liked you," I added. "It's just crazy how it's all come so full circle. Here you are, the new mini Iron Man with webs, and here we are." I gestured between the two of us.

"That is pretty wild," Peter agreed, his eyes meeting mine. "I've been in love with you since you crawled into my bed that night so I wouldn't be alone, and here you are, disrupting my sleep again."

"Some things never change," I laughed, moving closer to Peter as we both closed our eyes, the content feeling of sleep washing over us.