Rainy Day Bakery Bookworms - Peter Parker

An: Yall have @Thevscogorl to thank for this one lol

ok now onto the story 😂-----

-----

There was no place in the world quite like Wilma and Ed's hole-in-the-wall bookstore/library/bakery/record store. Wilma and Ed were a sweet couple in their sixties that started their shop twenty years ago, a place where all their favorite things were combined into one. Wilma loved to bake, Ed loved music, and they both loved books.

For you, their shop was your safe haven. No matter what was happening - a bad test result, running out of ice cream, or aliens you didn't know existed attacking New York City - none of that mattered here. The sounds of the outside world were drowned out by the vintage records Ed constantly had playing, and the smell of Wilma's infamous homemade pastries mixed with the scent of old parchment paper filled the room. No matter how stressful your day had been, you could get lost in whatever work of fiction you chose, the sweet scents filling you up as smooth 50's jazz lulled in the background. 

"Hey Yn!" The bell chimed when you walked in and a petite woman emerged from the kitchen behind the bakery counter. Her apron was covered in flour and there was a tray of muffins in her hand. "I thought you were off today."

"I am," you told the grey-haired woman, putting on a pair of plastic gloves as you helped her arrange the muffins on a tiered tray. "I wanted to come in to study. Plus, I've been craving one of your croissant pizzas since first period."

You moved to Queens at the beginning of middle school and were an almost daily customer at Ed and Wilma's shop. Whether it was for Wilma's food, to buy a new record from Ed, or to get a new book, you were there almost every single day; which is why they offered you a job the summer before freshman year. Ed and Wilma's store was everything you loved compiled into one, so this job was truly a dream for you. Even on your days off you loved coming in to study or just talk to Wilma.

You loved talking to Wilma. She didn't judge whatever you wanted to say, gave great advice, and was always there to listen. Talking to Wilma was like talking to your grandma, if your grandma was the coolest person of all time and acted like your older sister...who just so happened to always have butterscotch candies in her pocket. Wilma and Ed didn't have children, so in a way you were like the daughter they never had.