Midnight Rain

Authors Note: Hey guys! It's been a hot minute since I posted on here lol. I've been writing a little bit on Ao3 so I thought I would share them here as well! (Note - all story's from now on will just be about Peter)

My Ao3 name is HisGwen if you wanna check me out on there

Disclaimer: non-sexual nudity

————

The soft patter of water falling from the shower woke you up, steam from the heat seeping out from the crack under the door. The clock read 2:00am and you mentally cursed yourself for falling asleep. You always tried to stay awake until Peter got home, but tonight sleep had consumed you.

Minutes continued to tick by and Peter never emerged from the bathroom. Growing thoughts of fear that he passed out or was so hurt he couldn't get up consumed you, and when the clock read 2:10am, you got out of bed to check on your boyfriend.

"Peter?" You called as you pushed the bathroom door open. "Can I come in?"

"Shit, Y/n," Peter responded with a sniffle. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

You pushed the bathroom door open all the way and saw Peter sitting on the floor through the glass of the shower, knees pressed up to his chest. Your heart shattered at the sight of him sitting in pain alone. Without a second thought you stepped into the shower, not caring that your soaking pajamas were now clinging to your body.

As peter looked at you - you and your reassuring smile, you and aura of love and comfort you always held; you, his never ending ray of sunshine - any barrier Peter tried to keep up, that he always kept up to protect you, came crashing down as tears clouded his eyes.

Words were a futile device with you and Peter; a single look conveying everything he needed to say. You sat down and wordlessly opened you arms, a comforting smile on your face. Peter practically leapt into your arms, curling himself into his own body as he sobbed into your neck.

Your own heart broke listening to his cries, but you bit your tongue and silenced your sniffles, your own tears falling quietly as you comforted Peter. He was always there for you, but right now he needed you to be there for him.

Soothing whispers passed through your lips as you kissed his head, your nails gently scraping at his scalp as you ran your fingers through his wet curls. Intertwining one of peters hands with your own, you lifted his hand to your chest, letting the steadying rhythm of your heartbeat ground him.

When peters sobs subsided, you lifted his head so he was looking at you. "Do you wanna talk about it?" You asked, pushing his wet hair off his forehead.

Peter shook his head. "Not yet," he whispered, sniffling again.

You nodded and mouthed a silent ok, grabbing a shampoo bottle in the process.

"I can wash my own hair Yn," Peter said, a ring of anger in his voice. He wasn't mad at you, he was mad that he had let himself become so helpless and fragile that you thought you had to do this for him.

"I didn't say you couldn't," you responded calmly, lathering the shampoo in your hands.

You looked up at Peter, that same sweet smile, those same kind eyes still looking at him. "But you're hurt, love. You spend every day saving peoples lives and then you come home, trying to save yourself in silence. I know you can do this by yourself but you shouldn't have to. You're always there for me, so let me here for you, ok?"

Peter nodded, a small smile pulling at the corners of his lips. His sweet Yn, always so patient with him, even when he didn't deserve it.

Peter closed his eyes as you gently massaged the shampoo into his hair, smiling peacefully as the warm, soapy water, ran down his face. With the same gentleness you conditioned his hair, working out any tangles you found in the process.

Peter grabbed your hand as you washed soapy suds over his shoulders, running his thumb over your knuckles before bringing them up to his lips to kiss your hand. "I love you," he whispered, breathing every morsel of love and truth into those words.

You hugged him from behind, your arms wrapping him in a feeling of warmth and safety. "I love you too," you echoed, placing a wet kiss on his cheek. "Why don't you finish rinsing off here and I'll go make us some tea?"

"That sounds perfect," he whispered, kissing the hands that had treated him with such love once more.

You smiled, kissing his shoulder before exiting the shower. You peeled off your wet pajamas and threw on one of Peter's shirts.

———————————

When Peter came out of the shower you were waiting in bed with two cups of tea and dyer warmed blanket. "Hi bub," you smiled, opening you arms.

Peter felt his pain ease as he climbed into bed next to you. He curled into your side, head on your chest as he hugged your stomach, still listening to the steadying rhythm of your heartbeat. He wasn't ready to talk about what he'd seen that night just yet, but he knew that when he was, you'd be there for him.

He closed his eyes, the soft hum of your chest as you spoke combined with the feeling of your fingers running through his hair beginning to soothe him. "I love you so much, Peter," you cooed, kissing his forehead.

"I love you more," Peter answered, curling even tighter into your side.

It was true, Peter loved you more than you would ever know. When all the light was gone from his eyes, when he was drowning, you were the one to bring him back. When he questioned if all of this was still worth it, he thought of you. Anything was worth it for you. You, his patient, loving Yn. When everything else was dark, you brought sunshine back into his life.

Knowing that you would still be there - that he would still be wrapped in your arms when he woke - comforted him as he drifted off to sleep.

And you, as you stared down at Peter clinging to your side, watching his face finally relax as he let sleep overtake him, you finally let yourself breathe. Peter had put it upon himself to take care of the entire world, never thinking of taking care of himself. Even Spider-Man needed someone to care for him, and as you felt yourself began to drift off, you thanked the stars that he allowed you to be the one to hold him on his darkest days.