CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN

CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN
[57]

song: apocalypse by cigarettes after sex

THE ENTIRE CAR RIDE WAS SILENT. Kai drove to the nearest town, hoping there'd be a hospital or at least a doctor's office. He kept glancing at Daisy, to see if she was asleep. But she never did, she just kept her terrified eyes glued on the road. She hadn't said a word to him yet.

About an hour out, there was a much bigger town with a hospital. Kai had parked right outside the ER building and helped Daisy inside to the nearest room.

After Kai brought her to the room, he helped her up onto the bed and he went back to the entrance to do a cloaking spell— just in case. He wandered around different 'employee only' sections, and gathered the things he thought she might need.

When he came back, he saw her sat up in the bed through the window by the door. She had taken off the blood stained dress and changed into a hospital gown. She ran her fingers over her scar covered arms, then to her face. She closed her eyes as she touched the scars that ran over her eyes, her shoulders slumping in defeat at the feeling.

When she reopened her eyes, she caught glance of Kai standing in the doorway, but quickly looked away. He swallowed before walking in, setting a few things on the table.

"I— um." He searched for something to say, but he wasn't really sure where to start. She examined the things he'd set down. A few sharp objects, some gloves and things to help clean her open wounds. He followed her gaze and then turned back to her, realizing it probably looked a lot more intimidating than it was. "I don't have to— I just—" He scrambled for words and he felt ridiculous for it. "—thought you might need a few stitches and maybe—" He trailed off, as he hadn't even fully seen the wound on her stomach that was inflicted moments before he arrived. He didn't have any idea what she needed. Her eyes just stayed glue on the metal objects that sat on the operating table. Kai hid them with a cloth. "I can knock you out if I need to like— do something for the— you know—"

Her eyes quickly flickered up to him and she looked scared. He swallowed harshly as he sat down in the chair beside the hospital bed. He took a deep breath and tried to desperately remember what it was like to be comforted.

When he was eight, his mom and Josette had gotten in a bad car wreck. He remembered visiting them in the hospital with his dad and not wanting to leave his twin's side before they took her to the operating room. He was just as scared as she was and he remembered her reaching out his hand for him to hold when she was getting drug away. Kai wasn't allowed to touch her, but she still tried.

He gently brought his hand up and went to grab Daisy's, but she flinched and pulled it away.

Kai sat back in his seat. His breath hitching at the sight of the two massive scars on her palms. He didn't even want to imagine what had happened for those to have been there. He clenched his jaw. "Are you hungry?" He asked. "There's a cafeteria on the first floor."

Daisy rubbed her hands for a few seconds, her eyes trailing around the room before she shook her head no. Kai took a deep breath as he nodded, but was then distracted by the blood stain that was beginning to grow right under her collarbone, and bleed through the hospital gown.

He got to his feet, thinking over his words carefully before speaking. He didn't want to come off as harsh or intense, but she needed help. "Can I see it?" He asked, gesturing to the blood. "It could be small enough for just stitches and— you don't want to lose blood if you don't have to."