CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
[5]

song: barracuda by heart

CHEERS BOOMED FROM THE CROWD, startling Daisy as she found herself not paying attention to the football field, but more zoning out and focusing on a piece of old gum stuck to the bleacher in front of her.

She looks up to see everyone around her standing up and clapping excitedly, so she stands up too. Even though she was at a higher spot on the bleachers than the people in front of her, she found it impossible to see what was happening, as she was only five foot four.

"What happened?" Daisy leans towards Jen, clapping along with the crowd.

"We just won." Jen responds, before continuing to cheer.

Daisy nods and takes a deep breath, knowing that once the game was over, Tommy wanted to see her. 'It would just be like any other conversation they've ever had.' She kept telling herself.

"Come on." Jen grabs onto Daisy's arm and pulls her off the bleachers, following the rest of the crowd who made their way to the football field to congratulate the players.

"I'll catch up with you guys in a second, I need to find my brother." Josette says awkwardly.

Jen and Daisy nod, before continuing to follow the moving crowd. You could feel the adrenaline from the stands flowing right around to the field. Daisy found her eyes racing around as Jen pulled her along, looking for any comfort of stillness as her peers excitedly wrestled with each other over the win of the game.

Daisy met eyes with Tommy, who was talking to a group of his friends. Her breath hitched at the sight of him, and the two kept eye contact even as people continually passed in between their line of sight.

Tommy says something to his friends before walking past them and joining Jen and Daisy. "I didn't think you guys would come." Tommy said, pleased.

"Yeah, it was fun." Jen nods happily. She looks around before speaking again. "I'm gonna go find Josette." She gives Daisy a knowing smile with a pat on the back, then walking away before Daisy could protest.

"What's up, Hendrix?" Tommy says, a smile tugging on his lips.

Daisy could crumble over at the tone of his voice. He was so charming, he was like one of those fictional characters from a shitty rom-com. There was no way he was real.

Daisy sighed. "Oh, you know." She shrugged. "Just showing my school spirit." She spoke sarcastically.

Tommy laughed. "Oh yeah?"

"Totally." Daisy nodded with a smile. "I'm not a cheerleader anymore so I have to do it somehow."

He laughed again, then it faded. "That's a shame."