CHAPTER EIGHTY FIVE

CHAPTER EIGHTY FIVE
[85]
song: only ones who know by arctic monkeys

IT WAS THE SLOW CRASHING OF WAVES THAT KEPT HER ENTERTAINED. Waves come, transient yet always there, rising, falling. They scatter the light, the hue of the water ever changing yet always familiar, always blue.

Yesterday the sea was laid flat and her emotions also, as if one were a reflection of the other. Today, likewise, yet the waves are choppy, the surface like a mirror turned half liquid, breaking and flowing all at once.

She had been leaning over this tall stone wall, watching as the dark sea dispersed itself around the harbor. She could go down there herself and sit on those rocks, and truly enjoy the feeling of the waves- but it was this wall- though one she could easily climb over- that held her back.

The moon highlighted the water, creating golden specks against the unsettling darkness. She lifted her chin up and closed her eyes, as if the moon would warm her skin much like the sun did.

Her boredom expands as a nothing, as if she could reach out into the world and the hand would return empty. It is a painful disconnect, a stalling of passions that need their time in the sun.

The problem, however, was the lack of passions. She hadn't any time for passions, not until now. All of her free time in the past was either spent running, hiding, getting hurt- or wandering aimlessly. There was no use for passions in a prison world. But she felt that need now- she felt the boredom and she felt the loneliness.

"What are you doing out here?" Kai asks, almost making her jump by the sudden interruption in ocean sounds.

Daisy turned around, watching as he approached her. He was dressed in a nice suit, one not formal enough for something like a wedding, but poised enough to wear to work. Daisy wore a big t-shirt, one that nearly went farther than her knees. It was unflattering, given her scrawny figure- but she didn't really expect to be seen by anyone today.

"When'd you get home?" Daisy asks, leaning her back against the wall she was just looking over.

Kai sighed before speaking. "A few minutes ago." He nodded. Daisy watched as the house lights behind him illuminated the silhouette of his face. "I'm sorry the meeting ran a lot longer than I thought it would." He said.

"You were supposed to be home two hours ago." Daisy says, the waves crashing behind her loudly.

Kai unbuttoned his suit jacket. "I'm trying to get this coven to respect me, Daisy." He says, slight annoyance in his voice.

"Is that why you never bring me to your meetings?" Daisy scoffs.

Kai clenches his jaw. "It's for Gemini only. You know that."

Daisy tried to stifle the laughter she so badly wanted to let out. If she had to hear the word Gemini one more time she thought she might actually implode. However, it appeared she was unsuccessful to hide that laughter on her face, as Kai didn't look too happy.

Daisy didn't mean for this to turn into an argument- or whatever this was- whatever this has been for the past few weeks. She leaned up off the wall, her bare feet making their way off the grass and onto the cold concrete he stood on.