CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO
[2]

song: head over heals by tears for fears

SLOWLY AND RELUCTANTLY, Daisy uncovered her face from under her blanket. She blinks, closes her eyes, and blinks again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind her. She sits up, drags her feet off the bed, and rubs her knuckles into her eyes. And she took a deep breath. That deep breath you take every time your alarm wakes you up for school, and you have to sit there and think— really?

Her eyes grazed over the posters that tried their best to cover the light pink floral wallpaper that lined her bedroom. She got up and brushed her teeth, and combed her hair, and piled on her eyeliner and dark eyeshadow, taking about five minutes in between each step to groan and think of an excuse to get out of having to go.

She puts her big black fringe jacket on over her Thompson Twins shirt that Jen got her for Christmas last year. After buttoning up her black denim skirt and pulling up her thin ripped tights, she shoves her small feet into the huge combat boots she'd bought at the mall.

Daisy heads down the stairs after swinging her back over her shoulder, the amount of jewelry around her neck making a jingling noise as she takes each step.

"Oh, what are you wearing?" Susan spoke disappointedly, sitting at the kitchen table with her legs crossed.

Daisy couldn't even make it to the bottom of the stairs before being ridiculed. "Can I take the car?" Daisy ignores her mother, raising her eyebrows. She begins to put a new tape in her walkman as she waits for a response.

"No, I'm taking it to work." Susan says, taking a drink from her coffee cup.

"Mom, I'm a senior and I ride a bike everywhere." Daisy says embarrassedly.

"Why don't you see if that Parker girl can drive? Maybe she can take you." Susan shrugs. "Not the boy though. He seems like a punk."

"You think everyone's a punk." Daisy shakes her eyes. "I'll just take the damn bike." She rolls her eyes, putting her headphones on, and turning to walk out the door.

"Daisy?" Susan spoke.

Daisy turned around. "Hm?" She raised her eyebrows.

"You shouldn't do your makeup like that." Susan sighs. "Love you!"

Daisy lets out a deep groan as she swings the front door open and charges out on the porch. The autumn breeze tousled Daisy's hair and pinked her cheeks. The warmth that had been in the wind just last week had either evaporated into the sky or leached into the earth. It gave life to the long grass at the side of the road, still yellowing from the high August sun.