CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO
[32]

song: hungry like the wolf by duran duran

SOMEHOW, DAISY HAD GOTTEN JEN TO TALK TO HER. And somehow, Daisy found herself going to the senior girls lock in at the school. Jen drove out of Daisy's neighborhood, the car was painfully quiet, as expected.

"Thanks for driving." Daisy lets out, instinct to break the silence.

Jen glances at Daisy and back to the dark road. "No problem." She shrugs. "I honestly didn't think you would want to go to this."

Daisy held in a scoff, knowing Jen probably wasn't in the mood for her sarcasm. "I thought it would probably be the only time we would be able to talk things out." Daisy says.

"Ah." Jen nods a bit, she turns a corner towards the school. "I don't— hate you, Daisy." She says, awkwardly. "I miss you." She says. Daisy turns to Jen, and watched her with soft eyes as she continues to drive. "Ya know? I miss my best friend. I miss how fun you used to be. And energetic. And happy." She shrugs a bit.

Daisy swallows, turning back to face the road with a knot in her throat. "I am happy." She says.

"I know— it's just—" Jen stumbles for words. "You've changed."

Daisy bit her cheek, processing her friends words. "People change." She responds. Not wanting to admit that Jen was inevitably right, and that she hadn't changed for the better— for that matter.

"You're right." Jen says, inhaling sharply. "And I'm sorry I kind of bugged out on you yesterday. It was dramatic." She rolls her eyes and lets out a little scoff, as she pulls into the school parking lot, parking at her usual spot by the curb. Jen turns to Daisy, and takes a deep breath. "Just promise me, that tonight, it's just us hanging out. No Kai. No talking about Kai." She raises her eyebrows.

"Promise." Daisy smiles faintly. "So are we okay?" She asks cautiously.

Jen nods. "Yeah, we're okay." She smiles faintly. She takes a deep breath as she looks at the school, watching as the rest of the girls walk in through the front doors with pillows and sleeping bags. "No backing out now." Jen laughs a bit.

Daisy lets out a little laugh, too. "Let's go."

Daisy unrolled her sleeping bag next to Jen's, as far away from everyone else's on the cafeteria floor, trying her best not to think about how unsanitary it was. Giggles and screeches erupted from the girls as they danced around to the music playing off the boombox on one of the tables, already in their pajamas.