CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT

CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT
[58]

song: the ghost in you by the psychedelic furs

"GO FISH." Kai spoke, which led to Daisy letting out a frustrated sigh as she pulled another card from the deck and into hers.

The two sat across from each other on the hospital bed, a deck of cards in between while the tv played behind them. "This is fun." Kai spoke, popping a chip in his mouth.

"That's because you're winning." Daisy mumbled, examining her heavy deck of cards in hand. "Again."

Kai shrugged. "I'm just that good." He shrugged smugly. Daisy let out a small scoff, rubbing her arms where scarring tissue still layered her skin. He eyed her before speaking again. "Feeling any better?"

Daisy took a deep breath, as she another card on the deck in front of her. She then glanced at the IV Kai had put in her arm earlier and shrugged. "I think this is helping." She nodded. "I guess I can move my head without feeling the urge to vomit now."

"That's good." He nodded with raised eyebrows. "That was the first time I put an IV in someone." He added. Daisy looked at him concernedly and his face fell flat. "Kidding."

Daisy rolled her eyes. "If you keep making these jokes I'm gonna stop believing you." She let out a small laugh. "Go fish." She added.

Kai went to grab a card from the deck but stopped when he noticed Daisy holding her stomach, her eyes twitching into what looked like a small wince. He sat up and looked at her with a sigh. "Why won't you let me heal you?" He asks.

She clenched her jaw. "It just stings a little. I'm fine."

"But it could just ease the pain for a little bit." He spoke. "It'll be like magical ibuprofen."

Daisy gave him a face, that told him she was sticking with the same answer she'd already given him numerous times. "No magic."

Kai slouched. He wanted to respect her boundaries but he also hated seeing her like this. He glanced out the window and back to her. "Wanna go for a walk?" He asked.

She nodded and he helped her out of bed. She was lucky that he knew what he was doing. He checked her levels before they left, and helped her wheel around the IV stand down the halls. She'd only been back for a few days, but was already beginning to feel a bit better. Walking wasn't as much of a struggle anymore, and she had much more of an appetite. She'd already gained two pounds back.

Sleeping was the hardest part. She was awake for the majority of the night, as exhausted as she was. Closing her eyes was horrifying. When she tried, all she could do was anticipate the feeling of a knife being plunged into her skin.

The two walked back and fourth down the hallways. "What did they do with you?" Daisy asked, interrupting the silence between them as they walked.

Kai glanced at her. "What do you mean?"

She thought for a second. "The Algeans. They—"

Kai shook his head. "We don't have to talk about it."

Daisy stopped and turned to face him with a concerned look. "I want to know." She spoke. "But if you don't want to talk about it— that's fine." She nodded reassuringly.