CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

[28]

song: mount everest by labrinth

IT IS NO ACCIDENT THAT IT IS THE REPTILE, the snake, that symbolizes evil in myths. These creatures do not require love to raise their young like mammals do. As such they do not evolve an ability to feel love, only to survive. Likewise the psychopath does not feel love, they are an evolutionary throw-back to our reptilian brains, an accident of genetics. But if we do not take the threat of them seriously they will continue to dominate our world, driving us into a hellish dystopia.

Kai weighed the knife in his hand. It was no heavier than a kitchen blade but would cut on first contact, even with minimum pressure. It's serrations were like waves, but not randomly so like on the cheaper knives. He stood in front of his bathroom mirror, examining his own face that seemed to change every time he caught glance of himself.

He wasn't human. He couldn't be. He was bigger, smarter. He saw and heard things that the human eye couldn't see, couldn't comprehend. He knew things that humans shouldn't know. He did things that humans couldn't do. He felt things that humans shouldn't feel.

Kai opened up his palm and clutched the knife in the other. He then dragged the knife over the skin of his palm, cutting a thin, deep line across it.

He still bled. But he didn't feel it. He didn't feel anything.

The corners of his mouth twitched upward, as the crimson red blood dripped from his hand and into his bathroom sink. He let out a bored sigh, as he grabbed some bandages and wrapped his hand back up.

A loud, angry knock rang from his bedroom door. Then a few twists on the doorknob. "Kai!" Josette yelled.

"What?" Kai said, continuing to wrap his hand.

"Open the door!" She yelled back.

He rolled his eyes, wandering out of his bathroom and to the bedroom door, opening it up to see his twin stand there with furious eyes.

"What are you doing with Daisy?!" She raises her eyebrows, her lips trembling.

He shrugs lazily. "Lots of things." He says. "You'll need to be more specific."

Josette shook her head quickly. "She's my friend Kai!" Josette says. "One of my only friends— actually. I care about her."

Kai leans towards his sister. "Not everything is yours to claim." He says. He leans back and wanders back into his room, dusting off the lint that appeared on his perfectly made bed. "Save the lecture, dad beat you to it."