CHAPTER SIXTY SEVEN

CHAPTER SIXTY SEVEN
[67]
song: rag doll by aerosmith

PACING DOWN AND BACK EACH AISLE of the hardware store, Daisy and Bonnie walk side by side, gathering each and every obscure object Kai had requested and piling it in a backpack.

"Michael Jackson died?" Daisy asks, coming to a quick halt as the sorrow washed over her for a moment.

Bonnie frowned. "And Whitney Houston. Only a few months ago." She grabbed a can opener off a shelf and gently tucked it inside the backpack Daisy carried.

Daisy felt a sudden urge to cry. Partly because she loved both of those musicians, but also because she realized that life was truly continuing on in the real world. Time was passing, and she was missing it all.

"What about Corey Haim?" Daisy asks, continuing to walk alongside Bonnie. "The guy from Silver Bullet? The Lost Boys?"

Bonnie shook her head, giving Daisy a look that insinuated she didn't know who she was talking about. "I think those movies probably came out before I was born." Bonnie laughed a little.

"When were you born?" Daisy asked curious.

"1993." Bonnie responds.

Daisy's mouth gapped open. "Shit." She said in disbelief, she knew it'd be around that time beforehand, but hearing stuff like that out loud would never not be weird.

"You?" Bonnie asks.

Daisy let's out a little sigh. "1972." She responds with an awkward expression, knowing that it'd earn a reaction.

Bonnie looked more sorrowful than anything, understanding how long this girl had been here. "Well," she shrugs. "You look great for your age."

Daisy laughed, giving Bonnie a sarcastic smirk. "Thank you so much." She returns, in a dramatic manner.

As their laughter died down, Daisy watched as Bonnie returned her focus to the list Kai had made, then trying to figure out what aisle the next item would be in. If these were normal circumstances, Bonnie would be someone that Daisy would've instantly clicked with. She was kind, and smart. You could tell she saw the deeper sides of people that most wouldn't pick up on, and once she saw that side she truly cared for that person.

It was in the subtle things she did, like making Daisy a coffee, or asking her little questions about her life. Nothing extreme, nothing that would make Daisy sad or upset, but things that would bring back good memories and earn a little laughter.

A small part of her wished that this plan had been thought through a little bit better, or at least changed, once her and Kai realized that Bonnie and Damon were not here under the same circumstances of most of the people they'd run into. She didn't expect to grow to not absolutely despise these people, Damon, maybe, but Bonnie not so much.

But she also didn't care. As soon as they were out of here she'd probably never have to see Bonnie or Damon ever again, and this prison world, and all it's memories, would simply be a blip on her timeline of life.

They were pawns, not friends.

Daisy must've let her gaze on Bonnie linger much too long, as Bonnie gave her a few awkward glances before Daisy snapped out of it. She shook her head, letting out a slight laugh. "Sorry, I zoned out." She says, following Bonnie down the next aisle.