CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
[39]

song: we exist by arcade fire

DAISY COULDN'T SLEEP. She tried, though, in hopes to make time go faster. Maybe it was the fact that she was trying to sleep on cold concrete, or maybe it was the anxiety of never knowing when Kai was going to walk in next.

Laying on the ground with her eyes closed for hours, she was given a lot of time to think. Clearly, fighting back wasn't getting her anywhere— and if anything, it was making her situation worse.

She had to give in.

Faking it would be the hard part, considering every time she saw him she wanted to spit in his face— but she had to do something. Daisy knew that feelings for him were still there, deep deep down. What they had couldn't disappear over night, no matter what he did. She had to find those feelings again, and depend on them to bring her safety.

First she heard footsteps coming down from the upstairs, and her muscles immediately tensed. She didn't open her eyes, just remained in the position on the floor like she had for the past day. Then the doors swung open, she tried to still her panicked breathing that become to subconsciously rise at his presence.

Kai set down the bag of groceries besides a shelf and eyed Daisy, who was asleep on the ground. She was asleep? Right? He narrowed his eyebrows, and let out a quick sigh of relief when he saw her chest inhaling and exhaling as she slept.

He didn't want to wake her, he assumed it had taken her some time to fall asleep. So he quietly reached into the bag and began to place food next to her sleeping body, taking back the half eaten back of tortilla chips that sat next to her— feeling bad that that's all he left her with for a whole day.

Daisy thought quickly, unsure what she should do. He would probably just leave if she didn't say something— and she couldn't sit here waiting for him to come back again.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she watched as Kai walked back over to his bag of groceries, shuffling through it and turning to sit them next to Daisy. He stopped when he realized she was awake.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." He said, before walking back over to her and placing a bag of red vines next to the rest of the food he'd bought.

"It's okay." She said quietly, shrugging a bit. He stood up and let out a breath, glancing to the food and back up to her. "Is this all for me?" She asked.

"Well, I mean— yeah, who else would it be for?" Kai let out a faint chuckle.

"You don't have to leave." Daisy shrugged. Kai narrowed his eyebrows at her. "It's not as enjoyable down here by myself."