Prologue: A reflection of jade

A few months had passed since they bid farewell atop the hills. 

The Chief Cultivator had led the cultivation world marvellously, leading all the sects and clans intelligently and justly. The QingheNie, YunmengJiang and GusuLan sects' cultivators still guarded the accursed tomb of the former Nie and Jin Sect Leaders – accursed because it also guarded the Stygian Tiger Seal. With the Seal sealed away, and Hanguang-Jun as the Chief Cultivator, the people had lived joyously. He had brought peace to the mortal realm. 

But was his own heart at peace? 

Lan Wangji stared at the waterfall – their waterfall – and pursed his lips. He knew his desires. But he also knew his responsibilities. All he could do, at least for the time being, was dream. And dreamt he did. Listening to the rushing water, his mind drifted away into those beautiful days... 

When he climbed over the Cloud Recesses walls to check on his Shijie and Jiang Cheng...

When he introduced Suibian... 

When they tied the headband around their wrists in Lan Yi's cave...

When he made the rabbit lantern... 

When they made their promises to the world at this same place...

When he aced the archery contest to make his Shijie proud... 

And then... when Shijie sacrificed herself... when he let go... 

"Wangji?" 

Pulled out of his reveries, Lan Wangji turned to find Lan Xichen staring at him, with an incomprehensible sad smile.

"Xiongzhang?" Lan Wangji asked, confused. 

Without a word, Xichen came forth and wiped Wangji's cheek, dismissing the lone tear the Chief Cultivator had unconsciously shed. 

"Wangji, I came to ask how things are going. I hope you are not tiring yourself out," the older Jade asked, concerned. 

"Mn, I'm well, xiongzhang, and so is everything else. Xiongzhang, excuse me, I will be leaving now," Wangji said. 

Lan Xichen smiled. He didn't need to ask – his brother went to the same spot every afternoon to check if he was back. "Alright, Wangji, don't take too long," was all he said in reply. 

With that, Wangji bowed and left with Bichen.

**********

Black robes and red ribbon flapping in the breeze, with the wind in his long, silky hair, he stood there, back on those same hills, looking around silently. 

Months had passed indeed, and the young cultivator had traversed the land but had eventually come back to the same place. His travels were over. He should settle down. But where? Perhaps, he could go to...

Shaking his head with a sigh, he discarded the thought. He was tired. He would consider this later. 

Breathing in the cool mountain air, he took Chenqing to his lips. Smiling to himself, he played the melody his heart carried. He played loud and clear, his tune echoing over the hills and across the sky, as he slowly approached the chorus –

"Wei Ying!"

His heart skipped a beat. 

The sounds of the wind brushing his hollow cheeks, the sound of robes flapping, the singsong of the birds, the still echoing melody, all of this passed unnoticed. As he turned around, anticipating, and yet afraid, only one thing echoed in his ears: that voice. That soft, deep voice. The voice he longed to hear, speaking his name, the way he wanted to hear. He knew it was him. Yet, he was afraid it would be just another illusion. 

But as the caller came into view, he knew. 

One look into those tear-filled dark orbs of the Yiling Patriarch and one could easily see a reflection of white jade, smiling back. 

And at last, he smiled. Truly smiled. A beaming toothy smile reached his eyes, for once. 

'He was back. They were back... Together.' Wei Wuxian thought. 

________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey, all readers, hope this was satisfying, just wanted to give a nice introduction before the plot. See them actually coming together. 

Always, suggestions are welcome! 🤗