6: The Devil's horns

A sharp bell echoed through the Cloud Recesses but lasted only for a few seconds. Clothes ruffled, as around thirty young disciples rose, bowed to their teacher, and walked out. No, staggered out, should describe the true situation of the exhausted young Jins, Jiangs, Nies, and even the Lans. All except for one.

"Sizhui!"

"Zewu-Jun!" Sizhui exclaimed, fast-walking towards his darling uncle. Both beamed, glad to see the other. "Zewu-Jun?"

"Sizhui, how are your studies? I hope you're not falling back; don't think I don't see how often you three spend time together. Playing is good, little Sizhui, but not if that's the only thing you do," Lan Xichen said, grinning knowingly.

Sizhui desperately shook his head. "Oh no, Zewu-Jun, half the time we spend together, we study." Zewu-Jun raised his eyebrows, searching Sizhui's face for any signs of guilt: there were none.

Xichen nodded, crossed his hands behind his back, and spoke, "Good, little one, excellent. Run off, now!"

"Hold on a second!"

Uncle and nephew turned around to see Wei Wuxian walking this way. No, limping. Lan Xichen had already seen the children staggering out, half-dead after the droning on of Lan rules and etiquette. Now seeing this, Xichen sighed and shook his head. 'Why can't people walk properly today?'

"Xian-gege!" Sizhui cried. Nobody else was nearby, the students have left for the rooms as quick as their numb legs would allow.

"Wuxian, Didi, good morning." Xichen had not met his younger brother-in-law since yesterday morning; he had not turned up for dinner — but nor had he seen his brother, so Xichen didn't have to ask. And now, here he was, limping. Xichen tried hard to hold back his laughter, for the sake of little Sizhui's innocence.

"Xichen-ge, what are you grinning at? Good morning, Gege! Good morning, A-Yuan! Classes over?"

"Mn. Xian-gege, we are going out today, the three of us. We'll be meeting up with Zizhen at Caiyi Town, will you come?" Sizhui adorned his big, round eyes. Immediately, Wei Wuxian froze.

'Wen Ning. The exact same eyes. Is it a Wen thing?' He chuckled inside. Suddenly, the rogue faces of Wen Ruohan, Wen Chao, Wen Xu fogged his mind. Even more humorous was how all of these faces were suddenly replaced by that of a beauty — a scowling beauty. 'Wen Qing. Nope, definitely not a Wen thing.' He smiled to push back the threatening tears and opened his mouth to talk to the two before him when footsteps could be heard rushing forth.

"WEI YING!"

"Lan Zhan! What now?" Wei Wuxian turned around, almost stomping his feet.

"Wei Ying, you were limping, are you alright?"

"Oh, Lan Zhan, remember my limp on the night of my disappearance? Before the night hunt?"

Suddenly, Lan Wangji's ears perked up. He stared at Wei Wuxian, clearly eager for an answer. "Mn."

"Well... It was that thing. The Mo Long Hu." 

 "What? Xian-gege, what do you mean?" Sizhui's voice rang with concern and dread, while his elders' faces alone reflected it strongly.

Wei Wuxian laughed nervously. "Well, Sizhui, it's like this... Eh, Lan Zhan, promise me not to deduct their reward after hearing this? They deserved it!" He shouted. Lan Wangji, though taken aback by the ominous reference, nodded "Mn."

"Good. Well, I felt something pulling my chest that morning, while I was in the Jingshi, so I went to check, following the direction of the pull. On the way through the forest, I met the Mo Long Hu. It was obviously attracted by the Seal because I sensed its presence. Its return. The pull, it was the Seal calling out to its last handler." The three listeners followed Wei Wuxian's words, unconsciously walking towards the Jingshi.