18: The Spirit of the Flute

"Haha haha!" A deep voice roared with evil laughter. The minions watching shivered at the cackling Leader. "So much for the GREAT Yiling Patriarch! Now let's see how he stops us!"

"Leader Zhen, what makes you think he won't stop us anymore?" One of the Rebel Leader's closest lackeys asked.

Leader Zhen cackled again, "That man is nothing without his flute. Now, let's check this out."

"Leader Zhen," the lackey began again. "Why did you want us to do all that just to get this stupid flute? We could have gotten you one–"

"You're the stupid thing here. This is not any flute! This is the one that can control massive armies of corpses. The one that summons the darkest energies. It's Chenqing!" The Rebel Leader cried, pointing Chenqing to the skies.

Rumble! The heavens clamoured.

At the sound of its name, the black flute shifted slightly in the Rebel Leader's hand. The movement was ever so small that the man didn't notice.

Chenqing waited. And waited. Why wasn't its master playing anything? He definitely summoned it... No, this wasn't Master. Chenqing couldn't sense the darkness in Wei Wuxian's demonic energy. Nor the warmth of his soul. This wasn't Master.

Chenqing began to shiver slightly. Slowly, gradually, the bare shivers sped into rapid shakes and pulsing fits. The Rebel Leader stared for some time, open-mouthed. The flute was literally moving on its own: no, to be precise, it seemed to be struggling to get out his grasp. "What?" Leader Zhen gasped as Chenqing shook faster and faster, writhing with fury. Out of fear, he let it go, dropping the flute to the ground.

Chenqing stopped writhing but began to twist about on the ground. Leader Zhen and his underlings watched, the expressions on their faces darkening with horror. Was this a possessed flute?

Chenqing, meanwhile, turned around, searching. Finally, he let go. This man must be an enemy. When Master finds me, I'll lead him here. Master? Where are you?

**********

"Lan Zhan, I'm better now, right Doctor?"

"Well, it's best if you could rest longer..."

"DOCTOR!"

"A-Ying, you need to rest," Lan Zhan said coldly.

"Didi, Wen Ning tried so hard to treat you, if you run off now, it'll all go down the drain!" Xichen attempted to pacify.

"But, my Chenqing... I need to find Chenqing," Wei Wuxian was saying desperately, while Jiang Cheng held him back from dashing out of the Jingshi. "Doctor..." Wei Wuxian pouted childishly at the Lan physician, who finally grinned with a barely visible wink.

"Nonetheless... Master Wei is right. If they get their hands on Chenqing, the world is doomed. Chenqing is part of the Stygian Tiger Seal itself, the fifth bit of Yin Iron. It's bad enough they already got it, but worse if they began to use it," Doctor Lan explained.

"So what happened was a damned distraction?" Jiang Cheng, asked, Zidian flashing by his side.

"No, not all of it. The attack on Koi Tower must have been purposeful, but this was another motive," the doctor said.

"Yes, I had barely summoned Chenqing back when the arrow struck," Wei Ying nodded along.

"Well.. In that case..." Xichen muttered, glancing at Lan Wangji, who sighed and nodded.

"You're not going alone," Lan Wangji said.

"Right, we're coming along," Jiang Cheng, automatically dragging Xichen into the expedition.