29: Not My Way

A/N: Well, I'm glad that last chapter was entertaining to you guys because I spent over an hour researching poisons and antidotes. 

@gegeford , I could be a disciple of Han Yunxi now!

FYI, the so-called Fatal Silver is a fancy name I made for methylmercury. Which is a toxic chemical. The antidote for methylmercury is another chemical called N-acetylcysteine. It's an enhanced form of cysteine, which can be found in all those said legumes, meat and sunflower seeds. Tea tree oil and wine [alcohol] are known to help with wound healing. 

So yes, I've stuck to the facts. And this is an entirely new Chemistry lesson hahahaha

Looks like my hours of red-eyed researching didn't go in vain! Thank you!!!!!

______________________________________________________________________

The paste was prepared and applied immediately. Not for a moment did either Doctor hesitate: both instantly agreed that as long as Wen Qing suggested it, it's bound to work! A week passed by. The doctors didn't give up, out of absolute and pure faith in their senior — Wen Qing was younger than Lan Yuanhua but he still considered her his senior.

As the seven days and seven nights ended and the eighth day dawned, Lan Zhan was set on leaving Gusu to find Baoshan Sanren wherever she was. He would sweep the mountains all across the lands. She had to be there somewhere. But he'd wait first. He too had faith in Wen Qing: this should work. But if Wei Ying didn't wake up on the eighth morning, that was it. His love overpowered his faith.

As Lan Zhan lay beside Wei Ying, wide awake as always, he felt the sun's yawn. The eighth morning had arrived.

He removed the ward on their house to allow Madam Fan to enter. She knocked before entering, nodded to Lan Wangji who was standing at the table, placed the tray with its two bowls of soup, and left.

Lan Wangji closed the doors behind her. He moved to the table, picked up Wei Ying's soup, and walked back to their bed. He repeated his daily feeding procedure, then placed the empty bowl back on the tray beside the always-untouched one and walked to the drawers. He pulled out a few robes and a large white bag. The bag was his travelling bag, which he had never used before. It was pristine white and embroidered with pale blue clouds, just like his robes. He wasn't bothered to fold and place the five sets of GusuLan-wear he had taken out, just stuffed them into the bag.

He then placed the bag on the table and stood there, wondering. Was there anything else he needed? This trek would last more than just days, so he got his clothes... But what else? Right, Bichen.

He waved his hand and Bichen was by his side in an instant. He placed Bichen beside the bag. Something's still not right. Was it Wei Ying he was missing? No, he knew he couldn't take such a tired Wei Ying on a journey as uncertain as this. Wei Ying would stay; Lan Zhan would ask for help and the cure and return. But what if she wouldn't believe it was her grand-disciple he was talking of? He needed proof.

He picked up and placed Chenqing beside Bichen. Chenqing was Wei Wuxian's spiritual tool, the immortal healer might have a way to recognise it. He nodded satisfied. Still, somehow, the bag felt empty. Shouldn't he take something else? What else would you need on such a long journey? Oh, right, food. Never mind that, he can't eat anyway.

Lan Zhan stepped back to look at his belongings. Perfect, he sighed. He took out another set of robes and left the Jingshi to have his last bath in the Gusu springs before departing.

When he returned, clean and dressed, he walked to the table, hung the bag over his shoulder, slung Bichen and Chenqing on his back, and opened the door. He stopped. Turning back, he walked to their bed. Lan Wangji stood beside the bed for quite some time, just staring at the exquisitely divine beauty lying there. He bent down and gently lifted the head, before equally gently pulling off the red ribbon that adorned the silky hair.