43: Audacious Adventurers

The forests glistened a silvery green in the rising sunlight. Wei Wuxian, riding atop his Lil' Apple, didn't need to shield his eyes: he was used to Lan Wangji's glowing brightness every day, this light of some random Sun was nothing. Wei Wuxian twirled Chenqing between his fingers as he sat there, bent forward to lean on Lil' Apple, his head propped up on one hand, smiling impishly as he watched the glorious beauty walking beside him.

Lan Wangji walked along, his left hand holding Lil' Apple's rein, while his right hand held Bichen. The hefty white bag hanging from his shoulder. Long, silk, jet-black hair swished behind him as he strolled on. Curiously, his lips were constantly turned up at the tips, ever since they'd entered the woods of Gusu, beyond which the villages they were to visit were.

"A-Zhan?"

"Mn?"

"What are you smiling for?"

Lan Zhan shook his head. "Memory."

"Oh? Mind sharing?"

"Just remembered the way we travelled like this before marrying. No difference at all."

Wei Ying grinned. "True. Even then we went like this, husband holding the reins and– um... er..."

Now, Lan Zhan's smiled widened. "Wife sitting atop."

"Lan Zhan! Who says I'm your wife?" Wei Ying pouted, cheeks red as cherry. 

"I do."

"Why you–! Mmm!"

Lan Zhan had leant in to shut his mouth. Somehow, Lan Zhan still kept walking through the kiss, and so did Lil' Apple, albeit raspberry-blowing his mouth in frustration. 

Within the first morning and afternoon they had surveyed at least ninety percent of the villages of outer Gusu. Why were they that fast? The people just didn't have problems at all! Either of their Jades, be it Hanguang-Jun or Zewu-Jun, solved all problems the instant any appeared. Zewu-Jun's lookouts had taken care of the villagers for quite a long time, ridding their lives of all supernatural disturbances.

Occasionally, at those few villages with no guards, there were a couple of demons for the two to handle. Lan Zhan spent the morning exorcising and finishing off the water and mountain demons, while Wei Ying tried his best to call off Lan Zhan in order to save the less harmful ones and send them back to their Ghost Realm. The daytime passed thus, until the Sun decided it was time to go to bed. 

The two partners looked up at the sky while walking, mesmerised by the beautiful shading. Maroon, magenta, amber, vermillion and flaxen took over the skies as evening arrived.

"A-Zhaaaaan..."

"Mn?"

"Can we stop for today? Find a place to rest?"

"Why?"

"WHY?!?! YOU ASK ME WHY? We've been exorcising since MORNING!"

"Is Wei Ying tired?"

"TIRED? My legs are exhausted, head's aching, eyes are drooping, chest's paining–"

Lan Zhan immediately stopped walking and turned to him. "Ah, no-no, I meant paining out of tiredness."

Lan Zhan eyed him. Then he looked up to check the position of the Sun. "Six. A-Ying should take the medicine."

"But let's find an inn to stay first, so I can have wine after the potion, it's too bitter. The taste's still there from morning."

"Oh?" Lan Zhan leant in again and kissed him, sucking on lips and tongue alike, before pulling away again. "Mn, still there."

Wei Ying ogled at him, red-faced. "LAN ZHAN!"