33: Whatever It Takes

Running. And running. Sprinting. Panting. Sweating.

The fear. The dread. The anxiety. The despair.

All actions and emotions multiplied every time Lan Zhan looked at his ring. It was weak. The red incandescence of the demonic core energy that Wei Ying had gifted his husband was a soft red: flickering, vague, barely there.

Wei Ying is in trouble. He's weak. He needs me. But where is he? Lan Zhan thought as he flashed through the tunnel.

If only Wei Ying had had time to destroy the Stygian Tiger Seal. Then none of this would have happened in the first place.

If only he'd had the time to make that communication feature in their rings. Then neither would be this desperate...

He neared the end of the tunnel. He could see bright sunlight at the other end. Did this tunnel lead to the Nevernight compound? Lan Zhan had avoided the place all this time; it brought back memories too sour and sorrowful. The memories of his idiocy in not being by his soulmate's side. The memories of being blinded by his Lan-ness. The memories of letting go. Only now did he understand true Lan-ness. Staying true to one's heart. Like his father did. No matter what memories today he recalled, he will do this.

I have to find my A-Ying. Whatever it takes. 

**********

Clang! Clash! Swords clashed against each other in a fierce battle. One man was surrounded by twenty other, all twenty-one dressed in menacing black. While twenty different swords — some Jin, some random — attacked at the one man at the centre of the battlefield, one sword gleaming a bloody silver, clashed back with all its might. Suibian was more than happy to be in action after such a long time. In proper action, not doing Lingchi like last time. It was even gladder to see that its bearer had successfully cultivated his core, strong enough to wield Suibian wonderfully.

Wei Wuxian was agitated. This Luo Qingfei. Can't face me straightaway but had to send her useless thirty idiots, he cursed internally as he slashed furiously, assailing, slaughtering mercilessly.

Do not be deceived by his bad Math: for yes, there had been thirty at first, but so far only twenty remained. And they were dying out fast. The once defenceless Yiling Patriarch had improved that much.

I still didn't find the flute. Don't know where the hell my Chenqing is. And the Seal? Was Luo Qingfei using it already?

Tch! None of this would have happened if I had had the time to demolish that stupid Seal of mine.

And A-Zhan? Where is he? Are the others gone? Is A-Zhan looking for me? Wei Ying looked down at his ring for a millisecond amidst the fight, before returning to slay the men again. The glow is bright. A flaring cyan. So A-Zhan must be looking for me right now. A-Zhan... if only I'd had the time to establish a communication method between our rings...

Within minutes, Wei Ying was done with ten others. Ten more to go... He dodged between the ten men, ducking and diving, while slicing across their feet. When they fell, he'd cut their throats. Hmph, looks like I'm only second to Xiangxiang, he snickered as he reached the back of the group. Three men were left. All three attacked simultaneously. Suibian blocked the assault, then parried them all together, twisting and throwing the swords away. The instant the three men were rendered defenceless, Wei Wuxian struck two of them, hitting them only on the right hip because they veered away too soon. But the sharp cut was enough. It sliced through their sides, making them scream in agony. As the two fell to a side, Wei Ying dashed to the third and did his favourite martial art move: twist the arm, lock. The exact same move he'd taught Jin Ling for the first time.