7: From Yiling Patriarch to Xianxian

The Great Five, having sent off the children to their rooms, sprinted towards the Mingshi — the Lans' spirit-summoning watchtower. The Mo Long Hu's 'Devil's horns' were preserved here by the Chief Cultivator, who fully understood its potential of danger. Anxious, yet determined, the two Jades of Lan, the Prides of Yunmeng, Nie Huaisang and his fan, all burst through the iron doors and approached the horns.

Strings of black smoke wafted through the room, centred around each horn. The others watched, shock flooding their expressions, as Wei Wuxian, one arm around his husband's neck, clutched his left ear with his free hand, and buried his right ear into Lan Zhan's chest, mumbling, "No, shut up, stop wailing... laughing... SHUT UP!" He screamed, trying desperately to block out the screeching voices filling his head. They were the cries of the countless spirits here in the room: only the demonic cultivator could hear it all. Lan Wangji carefully laid Wei Wuxian down by a wall, summoned Wangji, and flew his fingers across the strings. A flash of piercing blue light sped across the Mingshi as all the shrieks and wails came to an abrupt end. For two minutes, everything was silent. But then...

"No, Lan Zhan, you're enraging it," a feeble whisper echoed through the watchtower.

The atmosphere around the horns grew darker. Suddenly, more threads of black floated into the Mingshi, before stopping for a second, then crashing at full speed towards the group of four standing in the middle of the room. Immediately, Liebing and Zidian were out. One's music wafted through the air, momentarily hypnotising the approaching spirits. The other used this short break to slash through them all. The aggravated horns, calmed by the music, stilled in mid-air, and a golden fan came flying at it, striking them down on the ground, finally lifeless.

"WOAH, Huaisang, you've improved!"

"Jiang-xiong," Huaisang began, summoning back his beloved fan, "I should live up to my friends' names, shouldn't I? Can't shame my Wei-xiong and Er-Ge after all!"

Jiang Cheng was about to ask 'What about me?' when a loud roar shook the Mingshi. The horns were shaking on the ground, like a fish brought out of the water, before shooting back up, and letting out another monstrous battle roar. With the roar, it sent its spirits flying at the four cultivators, sending the one standing at the front sliding a few steps back, his hand on his chest.

"LAN ZHAN! Are you alright?"

"Mn, I'm fine, it just pushed me a bit."

"Does your chest hurt?" Xichen asked.

"No, it can't harm me, just forced me back."

That was the last straw. He had laid on a side all this time. But not anymore. This was the last thing he could tolerate. "That's it, you are so dead," came the smirking words spoken by a terribly evil voice. The other four stared, terrified, as the Yiling Patriarch somehow got up, stumbled forth towards the horns, took out Chenqing, and played. The tune whistled through everyone's ears, eerie, bone-chilling. Huaisang was shivering. Jiang Cheng was half-smiling. Xichen was fascinated at his skill. But Lan Wangji... was worried. He had a bad feeling. After all, they weren't soul-bound for nothing!

But Wei Wuxian kept walking forward, the black smoke now circling around him and his Chenqing. After some time, he hit a shrill high-pitch note and the smoke exploded, disappearing on the spot. Another high note and the horns stilled, and dropped to the floor, clanging. Putting Chenqing back in his belt, Wei Wuxian drew a blood talisman and sealed the horns in a box-like structure made completely out of spiritual energy. He smirked at the now powerless, suppressed horns. He first spoke to the four staring at his back, "It's sealed forever. Nothing can break it. Absolutely nothing but myself." Then he turned to the monstrous horns. "THAT is what happens when you mess with my husband."