35: Sects And Sect Leaders Awaken

"Rouruan! Rouruan!" Wei Wuxian tumbled down the hill to land face-down on the clearing. He groaned and stood up, hastily looking around as the other three who fell with him stood up and brushed their robes. "Rouruan–!"

Something was tugging at his robes. He looked down to see a ball of black biting into the hem of his robes, pulling for attention. "ROURUAN!" Wei Wuxian picked it up and hugged it, cuddling it against his neck, twirling in joy. "Where have you been all these days? Doesn't matter, thank heavens you're back!" Wei Wuxian skipped with Rouruan to the heap of bunnies rolling around a few feet away. He plumped down on the grass, rubbing the crowding rabbits behind their ears with one hand, stroking Rouruan with the other.

"Rouruan?"

Wei Ying looked up to see Lan Zhan had arrived and was seating himself beside his husband. The three sons huddled close.

"Yes. Rouruan. Because he's a softie! See? He loves cuddles!" Wei Wuxian explained in a light-hearted baby voice and cuddled Rouruan tight, before handing him to Lan Zhan. "I was thinking of a name for him the past few days. Here, he's your bestie anyway."

Lan Zhan took the black rabbit and laid it on his lap, stroking it to sleep. A white bunny, the same size as Rouruan, hopped close and nudged his pink nose on the point where Lan Zhan's and Wei Ying's knees touched. Lan Zhan took it up too and laid it beside Rouruan. "Little Ying."

The four babies looked at each other with surprised round eyes. The tallest tot asked, "A-Zhan, what did you call him just now?"

"Little Ying," Lan Zhan replied expressionlessly as he stroked the two bunnies' backs.

"That's my name!"

"Yes."

Wei Wuxian badly wanted to ask him whether Lan Zhan saw him as a soft little bunny to play with but restrained his urge for the children's sake. The five, fathers and sons alike, played with Little Ying, Rouruan and the rest for quite some time, before Lan Zhan declared it was time for lunch.

**********

The children went with their fathers to the Lunch Hall, where they joined their classmates to eat at the juniors' left side of the Hall. The seniors were already seated along the other side. As Lan Wangji walked in, junior and senior disciples alike stood and bowed to Hanguang-Jun and his partner. Most waited for Lan Zhan to pass before waving to their friendly Master Wei, who gladly waved back. 

There was a curved dais at the front of the room. The seat at the centre of the dais was empty today, but the seat to its left had a goatee-stroking uncle on it. The other Elders were seated beside him. Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian bowed to them. The three elders An, Ning and Chen smiled at Wei Wuxian, while Lan Qiren actually nodded. Elated with his acceptance, both moved away. Hanguang-Jun sat to the right of Sect Leader Lan's seat, and Master Wei sat beside his husband. 

"Xiongzhang is still unconscious," Lan Zhan mumbled to the Elders. 

"Then, let's eat," Elder An nodded to the Hall. Everybody picked up their chopsticks and began the meal. 

Wei Wuxian turned to his right, looking at the juniors sitting less than a foot away from him at their own tables. He scooted a bit towards them before bending almost imperceptibly. "Rulan." 

"Daddy?"

"Where's Jiujiu?" 

"Jiujiu... didn't see him on the way here," Jin Ling whispered back. 

"Daddy, I saw Sect Leader Jiang walking across the compound at one point," Jinyi whispered from the second seat. "He walked that way," he pointed in a direction under the table.