47: A Warm Winter

Ouyang Zizhen, Jin Chan, Lan Jingyi, Lan Hao, Nie Xiyuan and the cheeky boy in purple, Jiang Liwei, all gathered together at a large table with empty cups by their fingertips. Their pals sat elsewhere, dispersed all over the inn, but this gang of six decided to sit together. 

Tonight's boasting will be long, Jin Xiyi sighed and shook her head.

Wei Wuxian was at the reception bar, leaning on the high wooden table, chatting with the innkeeper. Because his husband was NOT in a good mood. Wei Wuxian leant in and whispered something to the innkeeper, while the grip on Bichen hardened elsewhere. The innkeeper listened close, with a smile on his face, occasionally glancing at the furious man in white sitting near the door of the inn. 

"Master Wei, your husband looks like he's been tricked into a cup of sour wine," the innkeeper chuckled as he stepped back once the whispering was over. 

"Never mind him. He's always like that, grumpy Lan. Could you do what I said?" Wei Wuxian pursed his lips and made a baby face. 

The innkeeper lady chuckled. "Master Wei need not plead so much, it's for Yingxiong Laozu and Hanguang-Jun, of course I'll do it!"

"Thank you, Mother!" Wei Wuxian beamed. 

"You should never thank me for little things like this. I owe it all to Master Wei for saving my daughter from that Mo Long Hu the other day," the innkeeper bowed to him.

Master Wei laughed. "Mother, that was nothing! Plus, I know I struck it that day, but do you know who killed it?"

"Of course it's that young Jin Sect Leader!" A bright, cheery girl chimed in from the boys' table. 

"How do you know?" Wei Wuxian turned to her. 

"This one told us all that night," the girl giggled, pointing to Zizhen.

"Why of course, I forgot," Wei Wuxian sniggered back. Zizhen was clearly enjoying the attention from the girl a lot, and Wei Wuxian was happy for him. The two had been chatting together since they stepped into the inn, that Wei Wuxian had begun to wonder if their friendship had any final boundary at all between them. 

"Waiter! Bring more wine," a female voice shouted. 

Wei Wuxian turned around and told the waiter, "Goodness, Xiyi, done so soon? Waiter! Not that, something milder. This is the first time these guys are drinking, Emperor's Smile might cause chaos at home. Get them your Lavender Lust. Soft, mellow, fragrant, light. Should do good for a first-time." The waiter nodded, amazed at his wonderful knowledge of Gusu wines and sprinted back to the cellar. 

The girl who shouted smiled at her idol, nodding gratefully. Just then a loud shout of laughter sounded from the roud table. "Senior Wei, can't you tell these idiots to stop bragging so loudly!" Jin Xiyi frowned from another table. 

"And you think they'd listen? Not even your Goatee Shifu can stop them from doing that!" Wei Wuxian laughed. Jin Xiyi chuckled along. 

Lan Wangji had had enough. First it had been some Jiang Baozhai, then some innkeeper woman, then this little Jin Xiyi. Three women in one night. Just how much longer was Wei Ying going to torture him? Gripping Bichen tighter, Lan Zhan downed his cup of wine and stood up. Before the juniors could stand up in respect, Lan Wangji was out of the door. 

"Senior Wei..." the children turned to their senior. 

Wei Wuxian waved. "Nah, he's not mad at you all, you keep talking. I'll be right back. Tch, damn this grumpy Lan," Wei Wuxian grabbed a jar of Emperor's Smile from the counter. 

"Master Wei, it's ready!" Wei Wuxian left with a nod to the innkeeper lady who had just returned from the rooms above. 

On the way out, Wei Wuxian waved to the children. "Guys, once your cups are done, leave. Go home. All together, no wandering. The snowing stopped so get home quick. You better be back at Cloud Recesses and your homes by midnight, hear me?"