40: Inseparable

"What? Chang'e? Isn't Chang'e the Moon Goddess?"

"Mn."

"But why was it the Moon Goddess?"

"Why did Wei Ying see Guanyin?" Lan Zhan was still smiling.

Wei Ying tapped his nose. "Well, Guanyin is the Mercy Goddess. She heard all my pleas, and so knows me really well. That's probably why it was she who met me. Mercy, compassion, that's what she represents, right A-Zhan?"

Lan Zhan nodded. "Mn. Then what does Chang'e represent?"

"Oh? The Moon. Femininity. Right?" Wei Wuxian felt he missed something.

"Mn. But also one more thing."

Click! "Oh I know!" And then time stopped. Wei Wuxian knew what it was. Was that why Chang'e met him? But... He slowly took Lan Zhan's hand in his and kissed it. "I know. Unrequited love."

"Mn."

"But... but... A-Zhan," Wei Ying's cheeks were soaked with teardrops again. "A-Zhan, why? I do love you, you know that right? Please do trust me, A-Zhan, I really really do love you! A-Zhan, don't you trust that woman, Chang'e must be out of her mind. She's wrong, she's lying, she's crazy, she's–"

"A-Ying, don't talk about a Goddess like that."

"But... Lan Zhan... do you really not believe me? You believe her more?"

Lan Zhan looked into his eyes: Wei Ying's eyes were brimming with tears, sorrow, insecurity and dread. "A-Ying, I do believe in her."

Wei Ying let go of the jade hand. Smiling sadly and nodding, he was about to turn away to go off to godknowswhere when Lan Zhan pulled him back into his arms.

"Idiot."

Wei Ying's eyes widened. "Did you just say such a word?"

"Mn. I trust Chang'e, but I trust Wei Ying too. It's you I love, not Chang'e," Lan Zhan said, the smile not once leaving his face.

"Then what's all that shit about unrequited love?"

Lan Zhan pulled him back so they could see eye-to-eye. "Guanyin heard your pleas. Chang'e heard mine."

Gradually, Wei Ying's tears increased in number and flow speed. "A-Zhan... was it back then? Back when I died–"

Lan Zhan forced his lips against Wei Ying's for a few seconds, bit them hard, then pulled back again. "Don't say that word. Ever."

Wei Ying nodded with an apologetic smile.

"Yes, Chang'e heard my woes back then. So she knows me well."

"Oh." Wei Ying looked up at the moonlight and cried, "Sorry, Chang'e! Forgive my words!" He turned back to Lan Zhan. "So what did she say?" He asked, hooking his hands around Lan Zhan's neck, hanging on his body as relief flooded through him.

"She apologised. Said all she could do was try and alter your Fate to let you return. She was glad it worked. Then she gave that wine, because back then I'd..." Lan Zhan's ears turned pink with embarrassment. "I'd shout into the sky asking you to come back, that I'll give you as much wine as you like. She heard that." 

Wei Ying kissed them tenderly and smiled. "I see. She told you about a gift too?"

"Mn. Said I'll get in due time and that I deserve it for sticking by your side all along."

"Wait, so you're being gifted because of me? Not for your own skill?"

Lan Zhan shook his head. "Wei Ying is being gifted for his sacrifices. I'm being gifted for my greatest skill."