On The Road I

"It should only take you about two hours, maybe three to get to Inverness." Rhian instructed me, while Lucifer, Lee and Makri were getting the car ready and Gia was staring over Loch Maree like a lost soul. "And another hour until you can reach the Consi Hive. You will find them living in a little village south-west of Inverness, near Drumnadrochit. I will alert them of your arrival."

"Thank you so much, Rhian. I don't know how to thank you-"

"Oh child, don't worry about it." Rhian laughed and ruffled my hair.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise." Rhian only shook her head at me but I was determined to show her my gratitude; just the when and what were far from my mind at that very moment.

"We're done." Lucifer called. "I would say dibs on driving but someone said I wasn't fit enough." He drawled and pulled me into a hug.

"Well, you aren't and we're not gonna risk the healing process. I'll drive; end of discussion." He dropped a kiss on my hair and after thanking Rhian again, he crouched down next to Gia who was still looking very sad. She brightened up as soon as he whispered something in her ear and lifted her up, placing her on his hip. I almost shouted out for him not to do it, but I knew he would do it anyway. The little Consi had grown on him and I had to admit it would be hard to let her go.

"Come on people. Let's get moving!" I ushered everyone to the car and with one last good-bye and thank you, we left Rhian and Lee behind us and followed a narrow winding path out of the valley. The fog grew thicker between the trees and here and there we saw the elves stare at us from the dark shadows but they made no attempt to stop the car just as Rhian had promised.

The mountains of the Highlands zoomed past us as we made our way south. I wasn't sure how long it had been since that November day on the beach when the Sprites had taken us, but from the weather and snow on the mountains it must've been December already. Lucifer had taken a seat in the back with Gia and as I looked back at the two of them in the mirror, they were both asleep and cuddled up and I couldn't fight the smile off my face.

What are you going to do at the Consi Hive? Makri asked suddenly, breaking the silence.

Honestly? I don't know. First we need to get back to the pack and- bring Gia home. I sighed heavily. I realised how selfish I was, but I really didn't want Gia to leave. She was such a sweet child and she'd already lost her family once.

You don't want to let her go, do you?

Is it that obvious? I groaned and Makri's musical laughter sounded in my head.

Honey, anyone in a 50 mile radius could see that! I half laughed and gripped the wheel harder. I really didn't want to let her go, I looked in the rear mirror again and it seemed like the two people that were most important to me lay there cuddled up in the back of an old car sleeping peacefully.

What do you think the Consi will do with her? She's only 9... I don't know the Consi well, do you? Makri kept her eyes on the road ahead of us and didn't reply for a bit. I grew worried but then she finally spoke.

I don't know. The Consi are, while not a secretive Hive like the Mentis, not a very talkative and open Hive. I know they mix with humans all the time and do not believe in the secrecy of other Hives. I guess this is because they do not have an obvious power. Most of them just spread fertility all around them, wherever they go but some of them have specific areas of fertility powers. For example one of my friends who is a Consi can only brig fertility to mammals, whereas one of her friends can only fertilise land. It depends on the fairy, but they don't realise their area until their 18th birthday. I cut a corner and kept my eyes on the road, thinking about what Makri had just told me. I wondered what Gia's power would be, We wouldn't find out for another 9 years, but I couldn't help but wish I would be there when she did find out.