Whispers In The Dark

After that show down at the Alpha's house I'd come home to yet another shouting match with my dad. He was angry at me for disrespecting the Alpha and almost getting a punishment that I wouldn't be able to escape and he wouldn't be able to stop because that would mean undermining the Alpha's authority. I fell onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I had just decided to go back downstairs to talk to apologise to my father, when I heard a voice in my head.

Mentis. Mentis fairy. Come outside.

It was like a song drifting through my head and I couldn't resist; I walked through the house as if in trance and stopped at the gate to our settlement. Finally it seemed like a fog lifted from my brain and I blinked. In front of me was a group of about ten fairies. Most of them were Meli, but there were Aquae, Maris and Terrae fairies as well. The Meli that looked like she was in charge was short and didn't look a day over 16; she seemed to be the leader and when she spoke I knew it was her that had called me. Her ginger hair was cut short in a stylish bob and her intelligent green eyes seemed to look right through me.

"You're the abomination." It wasn't even a question and I growled at her.

"Do not call me that." She laughed; her laughter was the most magical sound I had ever heard. It sounded more like an exquisite song or composition.

"My name is Makri." She sang and my answer flew out of my mouth of its own accord.

"My name is Eden. Please come in." The fairy, Makri, looked pleased and gestured for the other fairies to follow her. I sent a mental message to my mother who I knew to be at the Alpha's house right now, to discuss further lessons.

They're here already? And a Terrae as well you say? Okay just lead them to the Alpha's house. I will arrange a place for them to stay.

"This way please." I turned to the fairies. "I will take you to the Alpha's place; he will want to speak to you and I am sure you want to talk to him too." They didn't answer, so I just made my way through the winding streets of the pack settlement towards the Alpha's house at the highest point of the town. Our pack was one of the biggest ones in Scotland and situated right outside of a small human town, where we all went to school and basically made up half or three quarters of the student body. I knocked on the door three times when we arrived in front of the heavy oak door of the house. Fate probably wanted to torture me further, because the door was opened by a half-naked Lucifer. My wolf almost howled as we saw him and I felt my cheeks heat up. I heard an appreciative whistle from the back and spun around scanning the crowd of fairies. One of the Meli fairies was bright red when I looked at her and I growled.

He's mine.

I told her through a mind-link I set up for a few seconds. She gulped visibly and nodded. I could feel the gazes of the other fairies on me, especially the slightly amused and curious one of Makri's.

"Lucifer, we need to see the Alpha." I told him when I turned back around.

"I can see that. He's expecting you." He added after a few seconds of his eyes glazing over as Kilyan spoke to him through their link. I stepped up, through the door and out of impulse I let my fingers dance over Lucifer's exposed collarbones. I'd seen my mum do it to my dad countless times and somewhere deep down I knew it was my fairy-side claiming its mate and telling the other fairies to back off. Lucifer stared down at me confused, but I just sent him a smile. He stood by the door as the fairies filed past him and I could still feel his confused stare following me; I ignored him.

"Alpha Andrew will see you now." I pushed open the door to his office after knocking on the door briefly and left the fairies behind with the Alpha. I wandered through the halls of the big house, just to kill some time. It was the weekend so there was no school, but combat training was in the afternoon so no one really felt like going out somewhere like we usually did on a Saturday. I was on my way to the Luna's quarters when I heard voices, almost shouts coming from Kilyan's room. I stopped in front of his door and as bad as I felt about eavesdropping I wanted o know what they were shouting about.

"No she doesn't know! It's been two years! TWO YEARS!" That was Lucifer; I frowned, what was two years?

"Well you should've told her, you know? It's easier to deal with if your mate actually knows!" Oh, they were talking about me.

"Tell me again and calmly this time. And don't leave anything out this time." Kilyan's voice was stern and again I could hear the Alpha in him.

"I found out she was my mate on my 18th birthday." My eyes grew as wide as saucer plates; he'd known?
"I couldn't tell her, I just couldn't; she was only 16 what would you have done if the guy who'd always teased you came up to you one day, claiming to be your mate?!" His voice had grown louder again and Kilyan was trying to calm him down.
"So I didn't tell her and I just continued on the way we were. You have no idea how much it killed me, my wolf, to be so close to her without her even knowing. I died a million deaths in the last two years and the only way I didn't kill anyone was by..." He stopped.

"Lucian. Tell me now." Kilyan was growling now; his patience was running thin.

"I... It was a week after my birthday, I... I saw the way all those thirsty boys were looking at her. Not like I can blame them. I watched her grow up, I saw her transform into this... beauty... And I could barely contain myself. So one day at combat training, the general decided to mix up the partners and put me with Eden." My breath hitched, I remembered that day. He'd been quite brutal with me and I'd gone home with a lot of bruises, scratch mark and even a bit mark. My eyes grew wide as I realised-
"I bit her, Kilyan. I marked her. Not properly but enough so they'd stay away from her." I heard a growl and then a thump against the wall next to me.

"You did what?!" Kilyan roared. "You marked my then 16 year old cousin!?" I couldn't listen any longer. I ran down the corridor and out of the house. It couldn't be true, it just couldn't. I would know if I was marked wouldn't I? Even if it wasn't properly? She would know right? But my wolf was awfully quiet and I could feel her shock sat just as deep as mine. He'd known for two years?