Safe Day I: Nightmares And Stories

I don't know how long we'd been asleep but when I heard her scream I shot out of bed in a heart beat. My wolf eyes adjusted to darkness in seconds and I made my way over to Gia's bed. Makri was still asleep, probably because she was too exhausted and could sleep safely for once. Gia sat in bed, sweat rolling down her pale face and she was frantically trying to get the sheets off her body.

"Gia, shh, honey. It's okay." I cooed and she calmed down immediately.

"Eddie-" she sobbed and I pulled her into my arms. The room was pitch black. Even the moon couldn't penetrate the thick fog that night. I lifted Gia up in my arms and carried her to Lucifer and my bed. He was still asleep and I out Gia down next to him before slipping into the sheets after her.

"Lu looks so young." Gia whispered, her eyes wide as she leaned over his face. "He's cute like this." Giggling, she turned to look at me. I stared at her but doubted she could see me.

"Come here and let him sleep. He needs to heal." Gia turned away from him and scooted closer to me, curling up into my side.

I hadn't slept long before I was woken up again, but this time the screaming was in my head.

No! No, get off me; don't, please! It was Makri; I could see her thrashing on her bed. I got out of bed quickly and rushed over to her side. She used to have these dreams all the time the first few nights after the Sprite had- I shifted quickly, knowing that she was comforted by my white wolf. I nudged her with my snout and after a few more hits in the direction of the invisible Sprite she calmed down and turned to me.

I'm so sorry. She whispered and buried her face in my fur. I didn't say anything knowing that no matter what I said would never help to make things less painful. I saw her eyes well up with tears and quickly shifted back to take her into my arms. She cried but not for long; she was too strong to let it keep her down.

Do you wanna come sleep with us? Gia is there too. Makri chuckled but shook her head.

I'm okay now. Thank you. I smiled and pinched her cheek.

If only a wolf can calm you after a nightmare maybe you'll find your mate in my pack. I winked and she rolled her eyes.

I have been mate less pretty much all my life. It's not gonna happen now.

You never know. I winked and she groaned before falling back into her pillows.

Go away. She chuckled and I blew her a kiss before padding back over to the bed. I covered my mouth with my hand and a warm smile spread on my lips at what I saw in the bed. Gia was curled up into Lucifer's good side now and he had one arm around her protectively; a serene smile on Gia's face. I slipped back into bed and turned to face the two of them.

I don't think I can let her go. Was the last thing on my mind before a dreamless sleep claimed me.

-

Rhian came to wake us in the morning, well it was more like noon already but she didn't seem cross.

"You have a strenuous journey behind you and before you, dare I say. Sleep as long as you want but I do not want you to waste what precious sunlight we get. The fog has cleared a bit. Hunting season is coming to an end." after that last mysterious statement she left the room and we found a new set of clothes, neatly folded on three chairs. Lucifer didn't wake up so we let him sleep.
As soon as we stepped out of our room the smell of breakfast wafted up to tickle our noses; eggs, bacon, sausages, bread and tea. The smell was so delicious that we just followed our noses to end up in the kitchen. Lee was bent over the stove, cooking and brewing, levitating a few inches off the ground and sometimes shooting up in the air to grab a spice or herb or glass.