The Kilyan Dilemma

"I found my mate." I felt my eyes widen as I stared at my best friend Luke; he looked kind of pale though and as excited as I was, I worried.

"By the gods! Who?" I exclaimed anyways.

"It's..." He shuffled in his seat and his eyes flickered across the almost empty classroom. He took a deep breath.

"It's Kilyan." He finally whispered. I was sure my eyes were as big as saucer plates as my jaw unhinged and literally hung to the floor.

"Kilyan? As in the Alpha's son?! My cousin?!" I exclaimed in a hushed tone. Luke winced and nodded miserably.

"How is.... How is he reacting to this?" I whispered but I already knew the answer.

"He's avoiding me." Luke looked seriously beat down and it made me furious. I think he saw it in my eyes because he grabbed my arm and made me look at him.

"Promise you won't do anything stupid, Ed." He pleaded; I couldn't look at him. Of course I couldn't promise that, I already knew what I was going to do and it was definitely stupid.

"Promise me, Eden." He growled and I nodded my head vaguely.

"Eden." He growled again but again I only nodded vaguely. He let go of my arm and sighed as if he'd given up on life. I was about to reassure him when a deep voice decided to interrupt the peaceful, beautiful silence of the room.

"Morning, fairy. Is your pet having a bad day?" Said voice cooed in false sweetness and I looked up to meet his eyes. They were the colour of the pine trees I'd seen on one of my trips to Greece and they would've been beautiful if the person attached to those eyes had a bit more heart and a bit less cocky attitude. He was very attractive, I had to give him that, with a perfectly sculpted body like a greek statue and a strong jawline, broad shoulders and dark blonde, short cropped hair, but his personality was far from attractive. At least what he chose to show the public. My wolf and I couldn't shake the feeling that he was hiding something.

"Shut up, puppy and go back to your easy lays." I growled very unfairy-like. Typical of him to try and insult me with my heritage. He'd tried ever since I joined their pack and it was all because my mother was indeed a fairy and my father a wolf; which gave me an advantage to the other wolves in the pack since I had inherited my mother's powers of telepathy and telekinesis and my father's wolf. Thanks to my mother I could change my hair colour at will and my eyes were the deep, crystal clear blue of the Aegean Sea, but I had the wolfish beauty of my father's ancestors not the delicate one of my mother's. Lucian just smirked and moved to his seat behind me. I rolled my eyes and turned back to Luke. He still looked miserable.

"Look, we'll go to the library later ok? I need to find this book on local folklore and then we can go get some tea or something and talk, yea?" He just nodded and I was again interrupted but this time it was our English Lit teacher bursting into class in his usual flamboyant way.

-

On our way to the library, after school, my thoughts strayed to the following day as they had done for weeks now; my 18th birthday. I knew that I would find my mate that day, because that's what happens with fairies. Where wolves find their mates at any age (or at least as soon as the gods deem him or her ready,  which could sometimes mean a wolf finding its mate at 16 or only feeling the pull at 24), fairies can only find their mates once they're 18.

"You're thinking about tomorrow again." Luke stated and I groaned.

"I can't help it. What if he's a total asshole? What if... What if it's a girl? I'm not gay, Lu-"

"Stop overthinking it; you know the gods. They're not cruel. Although I am wondering what they thought when they put Kilyan and I together."

"He'll come around Lu." I gave him a reassuring smile and opened the library door.

After I'd found the book we left school and headed down the street to our favourite little coffee shop: 'Book Point', so called because they had a little library at the back of the shop where you could get a book to read while drinking a hot cup of tea for example.
We sat at our table in the back with two steaming mugs of tea when I noticed Lu stiffen and I couldn't block his thoughts from entering my mind, they were too loud.

He's here. He's here. What do I do? He's looking- o my gods-

I whipped my head around and there he was: Kilyan, his brown hair tousled and his chocolate eyes stubbornly trained on the menu, so I let my mind reach for his.

He's here. No. I can't. Shut up! Go. He's hurting and you know it. Go. No! I- you're hurting too. I know but- go. No.

I saw his jaw twitch and he quickly turned and ran out of the cafe. I bristled and ran after him. I heard Luke shouting my name behind me but I couldn't care less in that moment. He was hurting.

"Kilyan." I shouted and he actually stopped to look back, when he saw it was me though he turned and ran faster. I knew for a fact I could outrun him since we'd always played together as pups and I was about to sprint after him when I felt a hand on my arm, grabbing me almost painfully.

"Why in such a hurry, fairy?" A deep voice drawled into my ear.

"Let go, Lucifer. I'm in a hurry." But when I looked into Kilyan's direction he was already gone. I was sure I could've found his trail but Lucian who I had nicknamed Lucifer didn't budge.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, as much as I'd like to." He drawled and I could feel his hot breath hit my ear as he leaned closer from behind. I shivered and turned to push him away but he used the opportunity to pull me flush against his body. My breath caught and I stared into his eyes.

"Stay out of their business, fairy. Do you understand?" He looked about ready to kill and I had to admit that it scared me. I was used to his teasing but this was something I had never encountered before; not from him anyway. I always thought of him as an oversized puppy even though he was two years older than me; he'd been a dumbass and failed twice so he had to resit his final year... well years. I knew he wasn't stupid; he was just lazy or that's what I always thought. I narrowed my eyes and tried to reach his mind. He pulled away abruptly and I gaped at him as I felt a wall around his thoughts. I couldn't get into his mind; this had never happened but before I could ask he was gone.

-

I trudged back to the little café where Luke was just paying our bill and sent him a lop-sided smile.

"I lost him." I shrugged. "Damned Lucifer got in the way." Rolling my eyes I plopped back down into my seat and Luke rejoined me a second after. 

"I told you not to go after him. I can handle this just fine." He sighed and reached over to brush a lose strand of my lilac hair from my face. 

"Don't even start this. I've known Kilyan since we were pups. And let me tell you he can be stubborn as hell. Especially when confronted with something he desn't understand or want. We're gonna need a plan and it has to be a good one." So we spent the rest of the afternoon talking and trying to figure out how to make Kilyan see sense.