The Escape

Our plan was ludicrous but we clung to it like a baby monkey to its mother.
We had lost any feeling for time in the cold room and I had scanned all the minds around us to find the weakest one. I'd finally found one and made the Sprite take the food to us. I couldn't control it forever though so according to plan when the Sprite appeared in front of us, Lucifer jumped and held the Sprite captive in his wolf form. The moment I lost the mind control, the Sprite's eyes grew wide, he looked around frantically and we moved just fast enough with the gagging for him to not call the others

"I'm sorry" I mumbled as I began to take away all the protective layers his mind had built up. They would still be there when I was done but then it'd be too late.
According to the Sprite's mind there was a hidden entrance in the middle of the room where a thick winding cluster of roots grew up towards the ceiling. The entrance was on the side that faced away from us so we couldn't see it since we didn't have that much freedom with the chains. Now we just needed to get rid of said chains.
Makri, who apparently knew more about my own powers than me, told me that I could feed off of the Sprites powers. The only reason why I hadn't broken the chains to remove them was that the silver was draining my powers and I was too weak to mold them. I was appalled by her suggestion but I had to do it, so with another deep sigh and a mumbled apology, I dug deeper into his mind and found the source of his power. The Ignis Fire. It was scolding hot and I almost burned myself as my mind carefully reached for it, but after a few attempts I finally got the nook where I could reach in and draw at the power. The Sprite shifted uncomfortably and he grimaced but I turned my focus to the shackles round my wrists. Breaking them open with my mind I removed them, gingerly prying the metal off of my still stiff, burnt arm. I felt my eyes tear up as they fell upon the fairy-letter used to say abomination etched into my upper arm, but I shrugged it away and released the Sprite. Now that the silver was gone, I could feel the power rush through my veins and I sighed in content. A (not so) friendly reminder from Makri made me crash back into the reality of the cold, hard prison. I rushed towards her first, I cracked the handcuffs and she rubbed her sore wrists; I noticed that there were bloodstains where the metal had cut into her flesh similar to the ones cut into my wrists when I had struggled to get to her while the Sprite- I shook my head and sent her a small smile which she kind of returned before I rushed off to free Lucifer, who also had the bloody gashes on his wrists but far worse than us. It looked like he had almost cut his own hands off in the effort to break free. I blushed when his wolf licked my burnt arm and I sent him a small smile. The Sprite had fainted and lay on the cold floor.

"I don't want to leave him here." I whispered and Makri gave my shoulder a squeeze.

"I'll carry him up and we can dump him a few feet from the gate okay?" I sent Lucifer a grateful smile and he hoisted the Sprite onto his shoulders.

"Wait." I suddenly exclaimed. They both stopped to stare at me as if at their wit's end as to why I would want to delay our escape.

"I can create a temporary mind-link between the two of you." They looked at each other and then shrugged. I concentrated and weaved the link as fast as I could, programming the link for a few days so we had a bit of a buffer zone in case we were far from our pack. I nodded to them when I was finished and we rounded the thick vine in the middle of the room and there, hidden behind a few lose branches was a narrow staircase winding its way upwards. I went first, followed by Makri and Lucifer who was still carrying the Sprite. After what felt like ages but could only have been a few minutes we saw light and heard loud voices and clamour. I stopped on the top most step and grinned.

"You two. Pretend you're still handcuffed." They looked at me with confused faces but when I turned my hair into the flaming ember colour of the Ignis Fairies, they understood. I led the way out and they pretended to trot behind me. The camp was massive, it stretched out into the forest to the east and over the plains to the west. We were at the northern end of it and I praised the gods that their prisons were located at the outer boarders of their camp. Behind us was a mountain, but it wouldn't be too hard to climb it in wolf form; Makri would have to ride one of us. I sent the two behind me a quick glance. The few Sprites who passed us didn't seem to notice anything odd so we carried on. Lucifer put the Sprite down behind one of the tents a bit off of our prison entry. I knelt down next to him and reached for his mind again. His fire was still weakened but it would be fine, I didn't use that much to fuel my power. He wouldn't remember coming down to us anyway so I just erased the memory of seeing us. When I was done, I stood up quickly and we made our way towards the mountain. Suddenly I felt Lucifer stop me and he handed me the tattered hoodie he'd been wearing.

"Hide your arm. They mustn't see or they'll know." I nodded and took the hoodie from him. He had a shirt on underneath it so I didn't feel too bad. The hoodie hung off my slightly starved body and I smiled my thanks.

Guys. Come here! And change your hair back to normal Ed. Makri's cry made us whirl around to where she was kneeling in front of a cage. I frowned and, changing my hair back to its natural ashen blond, crouched down next to her. Inside was a child. A fairy child. The girl's blond hair was dirty and tangled and her soft brown eyes had lost all sparkle and life as she stared back at us.

She's a Consi. Makri stated and I smiled at the girl.

Hurry up. Lucifer growled through the link and I sent him a glare.

Just keep watch okay? I'll try and get her to come. I'll take her and you can carry Makri. He grunted a response and I turned back to the child.

"Hello. My name is Eden. I am a Mentis fairy, but half wolf. This is Makri she's a Meli. Lucian over there is a wolf. What's your name?" I whispered as soothingly as I could. Her mind was going crazy with panic and homesickness and I just wanted to hug her tightly and never let go.

"Gia." She whispered and I could hear the fear in her voice. She was definitely not a Sprite.

"Well Gia what do you say I get you out of here and you come with us? I'll get you home." I smiled and she scurried towards me immediately.

"Do you really mean it?" She whispered frantically.

"Of course. We were prisoners here too. step back a second. I focused on the little metal lock and broke it open. Gia scurried out of the cage immediately and clung to me. I smiled and stroked her head soothingly.

Let's go. We turned to run out of the camp. Again I sent a little prayer to the gods and a praise because I could also change my wolf's colouring. The natural white would be a bit too obvious against the muddy green of the mountain.

"Gia, I will shift now and you have to jump on my back and hold on tight okay? Just hold on as tightly as you can and don't worry about hurting me. You won't. Trust me." She nodded determined and I sent her an encouraging smile.

"Lucifer, I can try and change your wolf's colour to a darker one but I'll need a few seconds." I looked back to see an angry Sprite come out of our prison.
"Shit. They know. Shift now Lucifer." I ordered quickly and he wasted no time shifting. I concentrated on his blond wolf and when I opened my eyes he was a muddy brown. I sent another prayer to the gods as Makri jumped on Lucifer's back and I shifted and turned the same muddy brown as Lucifer. One look over my shoulder told me that the Sprites had spotted us and were now following us. Gia took too long to jump on my back so I grabbed her around her skinny waist with my strong jaws, watching that I didn't hurt her too much. I told her to stay calm and not move, through a mind-link that I established quickly for her protection.

C-can you hear me too? She asked tentatively.

Yes, just don't move. Once we're on the other side of the mountain I'll stop and you can climb on my back. Promise. She just nodded and closed here eyes.

They're still following. Makri shouted through the link.

We can lose them, just keep going Eddie. Are you okay? What about your arm? Lucifer assured.

I'm okay, just run.

We reached the peak of the mountain just before nightfall. By the time we had found a hidden cave that wasn't too far off the path it was pitch black and we had no fire, so Lucifer and I stayed in wolf form and since Gia wouldn't go to Lucifer, I had to keep my jealousy under lock and key when Makri lay down curled into Lucifer.