A New Look

The stares followed me all the way to my locker: people weren't used to seeing me like this. Hell, I wasn't used to seeing myself like this.

That morning Luke had left early because he needed to drop by his house before school to change and get a book he needed for one of his classes, I'd already forgotten which one. I sat in front of the mirror and stared at my wet lilac hair. Maybe he'll like us more if we looked different? I mused and had changed my hair to its natural ashen blonde. I didn't really like the colour it was boring and plain but the rejection still hurt and my wolf was craving its mate.
"Honey how are y- Are you okay darling?" My mother burst into the room. I looked up at her with no particular emotion on my face and she came forward immediately. "What's wrong, hun?" She cooed and looked away back into the mirror.
"Is there a way to change my eye colour?" I asked out of the blue and my mum threw me a worried glance.
"Yes, but... It takes longer to change your eyes and the outcome is never guaranteed to be the colour you intended it to be. Some fairies even lost the ability to change them back to their original colour- Honey where is this coming from? You never wanted to change your eyes before. They are such a stunning blue-"
"Yes, but no other wolf has this eye colour. They mark me as a fairy." I almost growled and I could tell that I had just offended my mum.
"Eden, where is this coming from? You should embrace your fairy just as much as your wolf." Her voice was stern and unforgiving and I winced.
"I'm sorry, mum. I didn't-" I started but her glare cut me off.
"Eden Medea Greene, you better have a good explanation for this." I knew I was in trouble the minute she used my full name. I winced again and the whined like a little lost pup but that didn't seem to affect her in any way, so I sighed and covered my face with my hands.
"I found him, mum. I found him and he doesn't want us." I sobbed and her features immediately softened and she wrapped her slender arms around my shaking form. "He pushed me away as if I were poison! Maybe it's the way I look, maybe if I just..." But she didn't let me finish.
"I'm sure it's not about your looks, little one. A blind man could see your beauty. Who is it then?" But I shook my head; I couldn't tell her. I just couldn't. She knew him, he'd been the one to always pull my hair when I was little playing with him and Kilyan. He was the one who had always tripped me up and embarrassed me to no end. He was the one who had always been there but not always in the good way. Lucifer.
"I can't. I'm sorry, I can't." I sobbed and she looked disappointed but masked it quickly.
"That's okay honey. Just be strong I'm sure he'll come around." She stroked my hair soothingly until I stopped crying and the only sound emitting from me were soft quivering sighs now and then when tears threatened to spill. After she'd left the room I straightened up and stared at myself in the mirror. I looked a bit more wolf-like with my darker hair and I'd put some nude lipstick on to hide the seemingly unnatural red tint of my lips. I ran a hand through my tangly curls before finally pushing myself out of my chair, grabbing my school bag and heading downstairs to get some food.
"Oh my little girl, you look stunning." My dad smiled and ruffled my hair, and I smiled the best smile I could muster up. I didn't want dad worrying because he wouldn't be as understandnig as mum and demand Lucifer's name, but I couldn't do that. I couldn't give it to him because he would call him out on it and Lucifer would be dead meat.

So I waited for Luke and Alanna to join me in our first lesson, which was Latin and examined my nails. For once they were not painted a bright colour but were as plain as the rest of me. Somehow I felt naked.

"Hey Eddie, how are y- what happened?" Alanna exclaimed and immediately pulled up a chair next to me even though she sat at the other end of the classroom (teacher's orders, not voluntarily of course).

"Nothing, I'm fine." I said confidently, glad that acting came naturally with me. I could've messed with their minds a bit but they were my best friends, I didn't want to do that. I hadn't even read their thoughts over the whole course of our friendship; they trusted me.

"It's him, isn't it?" Luke asked quietly and I sent him a dazzling smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I just wanted to try a more natural look that's all." I knew he wasn't buying it but he decided to drop the topic and rant about Catullus instead.

"He's just so annoying. I'm sorry, the way he keeps whining about his Lesbia? Please." He sassed as Alanna pointed out that their love was quite cute and Catullus wasn't that bad."He's so soppy and spineless it's no wonder Aurelius and Furius from poem 16 call him a wimp." Alanna fought back equally as heated and I just sat back and enjoyed this little fight until he entered the room that is. Lucifer's eyes found me immediately.

"Why good morning fairy. Having a wee spit fight I see? What about? Your newest outfit?" He drawled and my blood boiled.

"Shut your face, Lucifer and leave me be. We were talking about you actually: whether you could get any dumber than you already are or if there was still hope for your little pea-sized brain." I shot back and a look of surprise crossed his features before the cocky, arrogant expression settles again.

"Keep using that little tongue of yours like that and it might just be taken by the good fairies." He drawled and actuallt stepped up to me to lift my chin with his pointer finger. I stared at him, electricity coursing over my skin from his touch and I fought hard not to just give in and jump him right there and then but as suddenly has the contact had come, it was gone again and my mind reeling. What was he playing at? He had basically rejected me and now he touched me still? Maybe- but I stopped my thoughts right there. no way in hell was I going to let that moster ignite a little spark of hope only trample it back out. I was going to give him a taste of his own medicine, but first I also had to talk to Kilyan for Luke. I still couldn't believe that Kilyan was being such a wuss over this whole thing but he was Kilyan, there was always a reason to turn away, especially from love.

-

"I literally cannot get over your hair." Krystal mused and lifted a strand of my hair in front of her face.

"I know." Amber added and did the same where she sat on my other side. "I don't think I've ever seen you with your natural hair colour- like ever." She stared at it in wonder. "It's so soft." She giggled and I just rolled my eyes.

"Guys. Stop it." I growled and they chuckled but let go of my hair.

"so you know you still haven't-"

"Answered our question about-"

"Your mate." They finished each others sentences, which was really freaky and I stared at them a few seconds before shaking my head.

"Like I said before. I don't know." I lied and felt Luke's stare.

"Really?" Krystal, Amber and now also Alanna whined.

"I'm sorry guys. Maybe he's just not here." I sighed and at that precise moment the devil stepped into the cafeteria, so I looked down quickly and shoveled the bad cantine food into my mouth. Luke sent me a quick glance but proceeded to distract the three others. I'd have to tell them eventually, but I didn't know if I was ready to admit that I was meant to be with that... that... Lucifer.