Happy Birthday?

I woke up to feel my wolf pacing. It was fidgety and excited. I wonder why. I thought sarcastically, but I didn't have much time to dwell on my future mate because my mum and dad burst into the room singing Happy Birthday.

"Happy Birthday, pup." Dad whispered into my hair as he enveloped me in a hug.

"She's not a pup anymore, Calum." My mum scolded and then turned to me. "Happy Birthday, little one." she cooed and stroked my hair.

"She's not little anymore, Stella." my dad mocked her and she glared at him before he pecked her lips quickly. I just grinned at their exchange. I really hoped my mate and I would be that way. They bickered on for a bit and we had a wonderful breakfast but all through the pleasantness my wolf was still pacing and I could even feel my fairy getting anxious and fluttery.

"Come on, you should be on your way; I can feel your wolf." My mum winked at me and I just growled at her playfully and went to grab my bag. Hands on the steering wheel I felt another burst of excitement as I was finally allowed to drive legally.

-

"Happy Birthday, Eddie!" Luke exclaimed as soon as he saw me. I grinned at him and posed ridiculously.

"I am too old to be called Eddie now. Call me Miss Eden." I joked.

"Of course, Miss Eden. My apologies." He said in the poshest accent he could muster and bowed to me. We laughed and made our way through the corridor slowly.

"Happy Birthday, Ed!" I heard a chorus of girls scream as they rushed to hug me. It turned into a group hug and I only threw my head back in laughter. These girls were my best friends (apart from Luke, who was obviously a boy, but he was gay... so, basically one of us), they were loud and liked to joke around but when it came down to it, they were the best listeners and of course partners in crime.

"Sooo-" Alanna dragged the vowel out so much I was afraid she might choke on it. "Do you know yet?" She was a pretty girl, petite with straight, ginger hair and the most stunning light green eyes; she was the most outgoing one in our little pack and her ginger wolf could outrun us any day.

"Ooooh- do tell!" Amber and Krystal giggled. The Korean twins or 'The Gossip Twins' as we had nicknamed them, were out for a new hot story. Today: my mate and I. Their deep brown eyes sparkled, as I watched them warily and their black hair framed their uber-excited faces. They had joined our pack three years ago when they had had problems with their pack in South Korea and their only hope was to join us. Since distant cousins of theirs lived with us, they were wlcomed like our own and had remained with us even when they could've gone back.

"No. I don't know yet." I sighed and watched them puff in disappointment. "Come on. Let's just go to class okay?" I grinned as I watched them, debating with themselves whether they should press on, but duty won and we headed to our first lesson.

-

When lunchtime came I could feel my wolf pacing and whining impatiently. I still hadn't found my mate and my wolf was starting to really rub off on me, making me irritated and easily annoyed. So when I heard Lucifer's drawl I couldn't help but snap.

"Hey fairy, happy birthday. Good luck with finding that mate of yours; he's probably gonna be an ugly nerd that you won't-" he couldn't finish the sentence because I had grabbed his arm sleeve and dragged him out of the lunch hall.

"Hey fairy what-?" he started but I interrupted him.

"Listen here, pup. I am not in a good mood just now, okay? So please stop with your endless nagging and maybe try and be nice-" I couldn't finish my sentence because someone had crashed into me and I was falling to the ground, which I would've probably hit if it weren't for Lucian. His strong arms reached out almost instinctively and caught me. Immediately shivers ran down my back and tingles radiated from the places where his skin touched mine. I stared up at him and knew that he felt it too. There was a pained look in his eyes as he set me back up on my feet and let go of me as if I'd burned him. Without another word he turned around and ran back into the lunch hall leaving me confused and my wolf whining as it watched its mate run from it. I stared after him until I couldn't take it anymore, then I turned around and ran.

-

I ran out of he school and into the close forest; I ran and ran until I could feel my breath come in pants and my legs wobble. Somewhere along the way I had changed into my wolf and I could feel the claws sink into the soft forest ground and ripping through anything that was in the way. I came to a stop at the lake, but I didn't stop to think about how far away I'd run until later. I changed back and went up to the shore, staring at my reflection. My hair had changed its colour to the natural ashen blonde that it was and my eyes were bright as always.

Why would he reject us? Is something wrong with us? do we look weird?

I couldn't help thoughts of self-doubt cloud my mind as I started examining my face. My skin was pale like a fairy's but the high cheekbones and rough beauty of a wolf were etched into my face. Ashen blonde hair fell into my blue eyes and my lips were unnaturally red, but that could just be a side effect of my pale skin. All in all I looked a bit more like a fairy than a wolf, but that couldn't be the reason could it? Would he really reject us just because we didn't look like your average wolf? Maybe it's because I could change my hair colour? I could just lay off the unnatural colours, thinking about the lilac hair I'd sported the last few days. Then a wave of anger swept over me: he had turned eighteen two years ago! Did this mean that he had been hiding this all along? Or had the gods not told him? Because even though wolves could find their mate before or after their eighteenth birthday most tended to feel the bond once they turned eighteen even if their other half wasn't ready yet. I looked back at my reflection in the quiet water and hit it violently before sitting back and staring at my surroundings. Lucian didn't want us; he'd run away when I found out, but I couldn't get that pained look in his eyes out of my mind. He'd looked as if he wanted to hold on so badly but couldn't. I frowned before sadness overtook my senses again an I curled up in a ball next to the water's edge and drifted off before another thougth could cross my mind and remind me of him.