22. Ms. Fix It

"Internet-stalk her."

Olga's advice was punctuated by the smack of her chewing gum. The noise, and the advice itself, made Jonna uneasy. Being the recipient of stalking, she was hesitant to commit the act herself, even virtually.

Had he been home, she would have asked her brother for advice on how to win Laney back. However, he was working. In her desperation, Jonna turned to Olga.

"I can't just call and say sorry?"

Jonna asked the question while sipping the glass of wine within reach. After she had started confiding, Olga had poured four big glasses of wine. They would be too busy to return to the fridge, but they needed fuel, is how Olga had explained the oddity.

She was hunched over Jonna's laptop screen, pulling up several tabs at once.

Olga shook her head. "It's all about grand gesture type-a shit. How you think Jayden keeps me interested?"

Don't want to think about that, but thanks.

Jonna kept her thoughts to herself and took another big sip of wine.

Olga's fingers flew across the keyboard. "Political science and tats?" she asked, sounding as though she were talking to herself.

Those were the two insights Jonna had to offer about Laney. She was embarrassed about how thin her knowledge was of someone she cared about, but Olga surprisingly had little to say about that.

In between squinting at the screen and typing like a maniac, she still managed to gulp down some wine. Jonna silently hoped that her computer wouldn't be wrecked in the case of spillage. But Olga seemed accomplished, balancing a wine glass in one hand, and typing with the other.

"Ok-kaaay."

At that, Jonna perked up, wobbling a bit in her seat. She was on the second glass of wine and had skipped lunch.

"There's an art festival coming up this Saturday. One of those boring ass ones for white people, but I bet Laney'll like it."

"Art festival? Why would she be into that?"

Olga gave her a look she rather would've avoided. "Tattoo peeps are into art. What do you think they do anyways?"

"I guess---," Jonna hesitated, not knowing how to admit to it. "---you're right."

Olga beamed. "That's not all, though. You gotta have something to talk about, and this is it." She turned the laptop so that Jonna could see the screen.

It was a book review page for The New American Political Landscape.

"I'm gonna buy that for her?"

Olga rolled her eyes. "No, dumdum. Read it, and you'll impress her with what you know about something that she's interested in."

Jonna was damned if that didn't also make heaps of sense. She scanned the web page and her eyes bulged.

"Six-hundred pages?"

"I got you."

Jonna's phone pinged, indicating a new email. It was from Olga, with a Cliff Notes link about the book. She laughed.

Then, despite herself, she reached across and hugged Olga tightly.

"You drunk?" Olga asked over her shoulder.

"Maybe a little."