15. The Truth Is Crazy

Later, at Laney's apartment, they ate dinner and talked.

Twice during their conversation, Jonna's phone went off. Without checking who it could be, she sent the calls to voicemail.

Laney raised a brow, but continued talking about her work at the shop, occasionally asking Jonna questions about her work.

While pouring more wine in each of their tumblers, Laney asked, "Are you seeing anyone else?"

Flashes of Zachary bombarded Jonna.

"Not...officially."

Laney took a sip, then, "It's cool if you are. We're not exactly official. Just hanging out, right?"

"If that's what you want."

Internally, Jonna was unsure if that's what she wanted. Though, she wanted to avoid sounding over-eager. She had never been with a woman in a relationship and wondered if the rules were different. From their conversation, it didn't seem that way. The relationship balance ft just as exciting, and just as unknown as to its future.

Still, Jonna couldn't help but ask, "Just hanging out. What's it mean?"

"That whoever keeps calling you can keep doing so without any care on my part."

At the mention of the phone, Jonna stole a glance at the missed calls: Zachary. Plus, a text from Unknown but probably from Shane.

"What if I tell you about the calls and we go from there?"

"Sure."

~*~

Twenty minutes later, and Laney was still laughing.

"Online? And you fly out there, like that?" She snapped her fingers.

Jonna flushed. Hearing it laid out like that cut slightly, but she chuckled. "Yep."

"Man, and I thought I was impulsive." Laney's laughter tapered off, her features hardening. "That other dude, your ex."

"What about him?"

"Want me to beat him up?"

Jonna smiled. Then she giggled. But Laney's serious expression remained. So Jonna stopped giggling.

"I---no. Thanks, but I don't think it'd help."

"That dickhead needs to learn he can't push you around."

Jonna picked up her glass, prompting Laney to do the same. They toasted.

"Amen," Jonna said, followed by a healthy gulp of wine.

After that, words escaped Jonna. Her mouth felt dry. She downed more wine. Her head swam deliciously. Laney appeared softer, kinder than she had a few minutes previously.

So much so that Laney's next suggestion sounded way smarter than it was.