1. School is Cool

A/N- So here we are again! If you've already read Adulting, know that the chapter below is brand-spankin' new. Enjoy!

"Dalton, what was the author hoping to share?"

Nineteen-year-old Dalton seemed to care little about the author or their shares. He slumped in his chair and stared at Jonna Lopez, a challenge as if to say,

Make me answer.

As his instructor, she accepted the challenge with a serene smile. "Maybe a classmate will rescue you." Ya little shit.

Oftentimes, she believed a student's potential didn't merit a bad grade, but not Dalton.

Her phone buzzed on her desk, but she ignored it.

A hand shot up in the second row, and Jonna nodded for Kadence to answer. "She wanted the reader to understand poverty in a real way."

Again, her phone buzzed, but she concentrated on Kadence. While the answer was correct, Jonna wanted to facilitate a concrete response.

"How so?" she asked.

The discussion went on for another fifteen minutes, and then the class shuffled out, with Jonna calling after them, "Outlines are due next class meeting! Don't forget your print outs!"

Her reminder was met with grumbled acknowledgments until the classroom emptied.

Finally alone, she checked the messages on her phone. Five!

Eager, isn't he?

Then again, so was she.

The last message intrigued her most, left her shaking really. His request was a dare, and ever since middle school, Jonna had yet to turn down a dare.

Before she could hit send, a call came in. Caller ID labeled it as unknown number, but she took that as another challenge.

"Hello?"

The voice on the other end was less than ideal.

"I can't meet with you tonight." Or any night, she felt like adding.

He didn't like that, and railed against her. She held the phone away from her ear and let him finish.

"None of this is your decision. And I can't talk now, I'm at work." The half-lie rolled off her tongue. He needn't know she was in-between classes.

She let him rant another minute before hanging up. Jonna sighed and tucked her long brown curls behind her ears. After brief reflection, she brushed off the call and focused on lesson planning.

An incoming message stole her attention once more:

You should come.

She smiled and typed back a response:

What if I buy a plane ticket tonight?

A/N: What do you think? Is this a better beginning than the last one? (hint: the next chapter is formerly the beginning) 😋