9. Ex's, (Big) O's, Zachary, and Laney

A/N: Hotness warning!!!

During her short time as a teacher, Jonna had attended plenty of work get-togethers. She expected the mediocre food trays, the baggy jeans and t-shirts, the poor lighting, and uncomfortable chairs. However, she found none of that to be true upon waltzing into the address Zachary had texted to her.

The word posh came to mind, but it wasn't quite right. It was better than posh, and she was under-dressed as hell. The walls shone with a golden lacquer, made all the more obvious by the marble floor. Crystal chandeliers of varying and dizzying sizes hung suspended throughout the lobby, a ridiculous complement to match the endless columns. As if that weren't intimidating enough, pearl-curtained strands decorated the high windows, but when she looked closer she realized it wasn't a curtain at all, but a series of trickling waterfalls.

Every person milling about wore either a suit or a beautiful dress, and she had thought herself fine in a pair of black slacks and a loosely-fitted blouse. A mass of shining blonde hair demanded her attention, but the red-dressed beauty blended into the crowd, and there was no way to confirm it was the girl from the plane.

Couldn't have been her anyway.

Strangely, she was disappointed, but shook it off. Then, a perfectly coiffed woman met her gaze and reared back as if to say,

What da fook?

What da fook indeed.

Panic lit her brain, and flight coursed in her limbs. She spun a 180, ready to book it, when a hand caught her elbow.

"Where ya goin'?"

Jonna was equally grateful and embarrassed to see Zachary, who led her to an empty corner.

His grin warmed her, even as her stomach twisted in knots.

"Uh, you coulda told me we were goin' to the ballet. I would've worn my hair up," she drawled.

He laughed, "Quick-witted Jonna. It's better in person." His tone evened out as he continued, "I didn't mention it because it doesn't matter. And because you're beautiful."

He kissed her swiftly but sweetly. The sweet part was enough to knock her off her feet, but she settled for swaying on her heels. She was pleasantly surprised when he pushed her further into dark seclusion so that he could then push his hand past the waistband of her leggings.

Normally, she might've protested, but this wasn't her town, wasn't her event, wasn't her career on the line. So she purred, and begged for more, and on the cusp of a magnificent O moment, she noticed a familiar little blond staring at her from across the lobby.

"Hey, hey." Jonna hated herself for shoving Zachary (and his hand) away, but shove she did.

"What the----"

Despite Zachary's protests, she left their hot little corner to search for her almost-Mile-High buddy, who by then had disappeared.