24. Big...Plans

Being with Zachary was familiar and weird.

Jonna had texted for his address. Late as it was, he responded to her, even offering:

-I can pick you up.

The black and white words on the glowing screen made Jonna laugh.

This fool has to be hornier than I am.

Takes a fool to call one out, and so, Jonna accepted the ride offer.

Before Zachary arrived, she slipped into a short summer dress and nothing else. She had plans and didn't want to deter from them.

Not wanting to wake her brother or Ola, Jonna waited outside. A minute later, a green sports car pulled up to the sidewalk. Of course he owned a sports car. She resisted the urge to shake her head as she climbed into the cliche on wheels.

She settled onto the leather seat. Zachary's smile glittered under the glare of the overhead light.

"Hi."

"Hi."

That was the only conversation they had. Painful silence stretched between them, only broken when Zachary reached for the radio, switching on 80's pop hits.

Jonna stared out the window at the empty streets.

~*~

By the time they reached Zachary's apartment, Jonna's adrenaline had waned.

Zachary opened the car door for her, trying his best to hide a yawn. She followed him up the landing steps, shuffling to his front door.

Her head was cloudy with the promise of sleep. Jonna barely remembered why she had reached out to Zachary to begin with.

When he led her inside to the bedroom, the white comforter and numerous pillows called to her. Jonna had the sudden urge to collapse on the bed and curl up under the fluffy comforter.

Zachary faced her, stifling another yawn.

"Are we may be too old for this?"

"What do you mean?"

From his expression, he knew what she was asking. Zachary sat on the edge of the bed, patting the space next to him. Jonna joined him, yawning and then laughing.

"We could just go to bed," she said.

"We're on the bed."

"You know what I mean."

Zachary's eyes searched her face. Softly, he cupped her cheek.

"If you just wanna sleep, my old ass won't complain."

They both laughed. Then they were kissing. But not with passion. More like the sloppy tenderness of the tired.

~*~

Jonah hugged fluffy white pillow to her chest.

Behind her on the bed, Zachary shifted, turning over. His muscled arm encircled her waist, drawing her back to his chest.

"Is this okay?" he whispered, mouth on her ear.

His body was deliciously warm. She placed her hand over his and gently squeezed. Jonna's heavy eyelids closed and she sighed.

"Yes, thank you."

As she drifted to sleep, she remembered her lack of underwear. And her plan. It all seemed very silly now.

~*~

The whine of a siren shook Jonna awake.

Her slight movements also woke Zachary. He stirred, turning onto his back.

"You okay?"

"Yeah."

Waking up in a room that wasn't hers was jarring. The bed was too fluffy. She was sinking into it. The pillow needed to be flat, but pushed up into her neck. Deep sleep evaded her.

Suddenly, the plan was important again.

Jonna reached for Zachary. He settled closer to her, their faces lined up.

"Can you help me get back to sleep?"

"Sure. How?"

Jonna met Zachary's lips, drawing him in for a deep kiss. He matched her eagerly, but then pulled away.

"We don't have to do anything," he said.

She was struck by the sincerity. Even in the dark, not being able to fully see his face, she could tell he meant it.

She had texted, in the middle of the night, insinuating lusty-badness, only to suggest a good sleep fest. Any sane person should have rightly been annoyed. Then again, Zachary had always been strange. It was part of his appeal. Jonna realized now he was as strange as she was, as un-together as she was. That was perhaps why she had been drawn to and then repelled by him.

"I don't want to do anything. I want you to do something."

They kissed, hands straying to all the right places. Jonna's hands moved to the top of his head, pushing downward.

Right away, Zachary tore his lips from hers.

"Yes ma'am," he murmured, his smile briefly lighting up the dark.

He shimmed down the bed, peeling the sheet back, then her dress. He kissed the inside of her thighs. Jonna arched her back in anticipation. Finally, his mouth began the process of helping her sleep. It was a deliberate and wonderful process.

Zachary's head surfaced momentarily from between her legs.

"No underwear, huh?"

"I had plans."