3

Pre-season testing in Bahrain was the first official event where the constructors got to show the car that had spent months designing hoping to compete for both the Driver's and Constructer's Championships.

Amelia had decided to take the opportunity to visit the Middle East along with her father who thought it would be good for the RH Group for him to be in attendance and McLaren were more than happy to have Andrew and his daughter there for the week.

"It's so warm." Amelia spoke while fanning her face as she got into the back of the black suv that would be taking her and her father from their hotel to the track.

"At least we're here in March and not summer. It would be twice as warm." Andrew told her as he pushed his sunglasses up to the top of his head.

"What do we even do here? It's not like we're the ones driving." Amelia wondered as she looked over at her father.

"It's all about public relations Amelia. And good public relations comes from good press which comes from things like this." The businessman explained to his daughter as he pulled his phone out of the pocket of his trousers.

"Right." Amelia replied quietly as she rolled her eyes slightly at her father's reply before turning her head back to look at view passing by leading from the city out to the racing circuit.

—————

Amelia was currently sat in the McLaren garage with a set of bright orange headphone over her ears so she could hear the various conversations on the radio between the team.

She was less than interested in what was happening around her as she had very little knowledge on how all of this worked but knew that she had to at least pretend to be interested for her father's sake.

As the session came to an end, Lando returned to the pit lane and waited until the car was returned to its place in his side of the garage before exiting the McLaren car.

He began to remove his helmet which was soon followed by the balaclava which he stuffed inside his helmet before placing it on a bench nearby.

He took the towel and water bottle offered to him as he began to wipe the sweat from his face and pushed back his hair to prevent it from getting stuck on his sweaty forehead.

As he turned around to have a look around the garage, she spotted a familiar looking girl sat alone in the back of the garage staring at one of the many screens that occupied the walls.

Lando looked around and found her father across the way speaking with Andreas and Daniel, leaving Lando with the bright idea of introducing himself to the brown haired girl.

He took a large drink of water as he made his way towards the back of the garage before coming to a stop next to Amelia causing her to remove the headphones from her ears and place them on the bench in front of her.

"Hello." Lando spoke as he placed the lid back onto his water bottle.

"Hi." Amelia replied with a smile, not exactly sure what else to say or do.

"So what did you think?" Lando asked as he nodded his head back towards his car hoping to make general conversation.

"To be honest you're asking the wrong person about Formula One." Amelia told him causing the F1 driver to laugh slightly.

"Oh come on. You just know something or you wouldn't be here." Lando assured her before turning to lean his back against the bench in front of her.

"Trust me, I don't know why I'm here either." The brown haired girl spoke while looking up at the British boy in front of her.

"I'm Lando by the way." The McLaren driver introduced himself after remembering they had never spoke before today.

"Amelia." She replied while doing his hand as they both smiled at one and other.

"So not a big Formula One fan, I take it?" Lando questioned as he crossed his arms over his chest having still not removed his racing suit.

"Don't get me wrong, I get some people enjoy it. But watching a car go around in circles for 60 something laps just doesn't appeal to me." Amelia explained to the McLaren driver.

"But your dad must have an interest in it. Why else would he sponsor the team?" The 21 year old boy wondered.

"He's crazy into it. Always has been, him and my grandfather since my dad was probably like 5 or 6. But my grandmother was very insistent that spectating was as far as their interest went." Amelia told him with a smile on her face. Now that she thought about it, she couldn't imagine her father, the millionaire businessman, as a formula one driver.

"Makes sense. It's a dangerous sports especially in the beginning there was no halos or anything like that." Lando nodded his head understanding where her grandmother was coming from.

"Yeh." Amelia agreed as she nodded her head too.

"You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?" Lando wondered with a smile on her face.

"Nope." Amelia said as she shook her head laughing slightly which caused Lando to laugh too. "Thought I'd be able to convince you I know something or other about the sport."

"Didn't work but thanks for pretending, though." Lando spoke with a bright smile on his face. He had enjoyed the brief conversation they had. They seemed to click instantly.

"Lando, mate, debriefing now." A man told Lando as he came over and patted the driver on the shoulder.

"Okay. Thanks." Lando replied as he stood up from the bench he was leaning on as the man walked away. "I better get going. But I'll see you later."

"Bye Lando." Amelia smiled before the McLaren driver walked away leaving her alone once again in the back of the garage.

" Amelia smiled before the McLaren driver walked away leaving her alone once again in the back of the garage