13

Lucky for Amelia her father had been away for the last 10 days in Asia for business meaning she had escaped from talking about the Italian Grand Prix weekend.

But her mother had returned from Paris and she knew that her daughter was hiding something the minute she walked through the door with her design book in hand.

The pair of women were sitting at the kitchen table having dinner with Andrew due to return home soon after his flight got in about an hour ago.

"So, before dad comes back, anything you wanna tell me?" Diane wondered as she looked over her glass of wine at her daughter.

"No. Why?" Amelia shook her head in reply before continuing to eat her dinner.

"Okay. Just wondering." Diane replied simply.

"Mum." Amelia said in a warning voice. She knew her mother wouldn't have asked unless she knew or at least suspected something.

"What? I was just wondering." Diane spoke before the sound of the front door opening could be heard.

"I'm home." Andrew called from the front hall before making his way inside. He gave his wife a hug and a kiss before hugging Amelia.

Diane was asking her husband questions about his business trip while he grabbed himself a plate filled with dinner.

Amelia zoned out on their conversation as she continued to eat her dinner until she heard those dreaded words she never wanted to hear again after Italy.

"What?" Amelia wondered lifting her head up to look at her parents.

"The Portugal Grand Prix is this weekend. I thought we could all go. As a family." Andrew spoke.

"I'll pass thanks." Amelia shook her head in reply.

"It wasn't really a question Amelia. This will be our first Grand Prix as a whole family since the sponsorship announcement so it'll be good for us all to be there." Andrew explained with a nod of his head.

"Read my lips dad. Me. Grand Prix. No. I'm never going to another Grand Prix ever as long as I live. Okay?" Amelia spoke as she stood up before walking out the door.

"What was that about?" Andrew wondered after watching his daughter leave before turning back to look at his wife.

"No idea." Diane shrugged her shoulders in reply before casually returning to eating her dinner.

—————

If there was one thing to know about Amelia Hunt was that she was nothing if not stubborn. She dug her heels in and got to stay at home while her parents went off to Portugal for the Grand Prix.

Her absence was duly noted by not just the McLaren team but the media too who were more than happy to report on the fact the young socialite was absent from her family's trip.

But the person who noticed it first was in fact the young Brit driver of the Woking based team. He met Andrew and his wife in the common area of the hospitality and quickly noticed the absence of the brown haired girl.

"She's not here." Daniel spoke as Lando joined him at the coffee dock after he spoke with the Hunts.

"Who's not here?" Lando wondered as he grabbed a cup and started to fill his coffee.

"Don't act dumb. You know rightly who I'm on about." Daniel said with a smile. He took his coffee before walking back towards his drivers room.

Lando watched his teammate disappeared around the corner before realising a sigh. He hadn't heard anything from Amelia since Italy two weeks ago and he was worried he had said or done something wrong.

After seeing Andrew and his wife walk into the hospitality he was silently disappointed by the sight of the lack of their daughter in their company.

Lando took his phone out of his pocket and scrolled until he landed his thumb on top of her name. He hesitated for a moment as he thought about calling her but his judgement thought against it as he realised maybe her not turning up this weekend was a response in itself.

—————

Amelia was laid around Friday afternoon all alone in the house and she decided to watch the two practice sessions.

Lando finished in P8 during FP1 while Daniel finished a few places behind in P12. The two boys then proceeded to swap positions during the second practice session.

Amelia left the Sky Sports F1 channel running as she headed into the kitchen to decide what she's as going to have for dinner.

The lack of food in the fridge told her the best option was to just order take out. She grabbed a bottle of water from the refrigerator before heading back to the living room.

She walked in and heard a familiar voice coming from the television. Lando was on the tv doing a piece with Ted Kravitz about his engineers.

Amelia took a seat down in from of the tv and proceeded to watch the short show about the Brit. Once it ended she realised a sigh before grabbing her phone.

Amelia scrolled the whole way down until she found his name. Her thumb floated across the contact name as she hesitated about calling him. After a brief internal debate with herself, she decided against it.

Maybe it was a sign in itself that he hadn't make contact with her since that night in Italy and maybe it was best that it stay that way.

—————