Chapter 24

I watch as the spell seemed to move in slow motion. It flies across the courtyard and explodes right on the Dark Lord. The blast sends Harry flying back and creates a huge dust cloud around where Voldemort just was. Everything went still and silent. Harry jumps up quickly, making his way towards the dust cloud slowly.  

I try taking a step forwards but three different pairs of hands pull me back. It was Ginny, Severus, and Molly. I stop and stand still, waiting for the dust to clear. The dust begins clearing and everyone is tense. If it didn't kill him then there was a good- no, huge chance he'd come for me and what I'd just done still hadn't registered in my head yet so my expression was awfully blank. 

The dust cleared and there was nothing to be seen. Where Voldemort had been standing, there was nothing but dust and rubble. Shocked gasps rang in the air and it felt as if all the blood was drained from my body. "Did I just..." I try to speak but my voice is weak and begins to crack. "Don't try and speak dear," said Molly quietly with slight shock in her voice. Everyone was staring between me and to the spot where one of the strongest wizards had just been standing.

Ginny grabs my hand and squeezes it slightly, noticing my very confused state. Molly's hand is resting on my shoulder, trying to comfort me however she can. But the one person I thought would be comforting me the most is nowhere to be found. I can't hear his thoughts, he's not touching me, I can't even feel his presence near me. Before I can turn around to look for him, Ron and Hermione come running up from behind me.

Harry sees them come up to me and makes his way to me also. No one has begun cheering or really even said anything yet. Everyone is just staring in awe at the chaos that just unfolded in front of them. "Y/n? Was that you?" asked Ron. "Are you alright?" asks Hermione. "She can't talk," said Harry as he came up to us. I couldn't do anything other than just stand there and stare at them like an idiot. Yes, it was me. Yes, I'm fine. Where's Severus?

My throat ached and burned like hell. "She's shaking," said Ginny in a whisper. I could see Hermione's eyes shift to something above me, her eyes confused and slightly worried. "Come on Y/n, let's go sit down." Hermione and Ginny walked on either side of me, turning me away from the direction Severus was standing. We get over to a seat on the side away from everyone.

While we walked I could hear Ron and Harry speaking quietly to someone, but not one another. Molly chimed in a little too. We sat down and Hermione immediately starts making sure I was okay while Ginny rubs circles on my back. "Lift your head and let me see your neck," says Hermione. I do as she says and I feel a small pressure release from around my neck. She unwrapped the bandages from my neck carefully. 

She then ran her fingers across the small scar, checking to make sure it was completely healed. I looked up and the broken ceiling as she examined me a little closer. "Does it hurt?" I leaned my head down a little to look at her and nodded my head. She gave me a pitiful look and put a hand on my shoulder. "I could get you some cold water if you'd like," Ginny said softly, still rubbing my back. I smiled at her and nodded my head. She returned a smile and stood up, leaving Hermione and me on the bench. 

I turned my head to look back at Hermione and caught Ron staring at me. Harry was standing in front of a bench across from me on the other side of the room. He seemed to be talking to someone but I couldn't see who. I stood up and went over to Ron with Hermione following closely behind me. Ron gave me a weak smile as I approached him. Where's Severus? When I didn't get a response I got quite agitated. "Y/n, we don't know what you're trying to say." 

I blankly stared at Ron for a moment. Damnit. What am I supposed to do? I looked around and got an idea. I turned around and pulled Hermione's wand out of her back pocket. I then bent down and picked up a rock off the ground. Okay, this is gonna be hard but you've done harder. I placed the rock on the table beside me. I held the wand tightly in my hand and pointed it at the rock. Under my breath, I whispered, "Noterous." It took a second but the rock transformed into a small notepad with a quill.

I scooped up the notepad and quill into my hands and handed Hermione her wand back. I flipped the notepad open and scribbled my questions onto the clean paper. Hermione looked over my shoulder in shock as the rock transformed and while I began to write. Ron was pretty surprised too but he seemed to have something else on his mind. I turned the notepad around to face Ron and he read the paper slowly out loud, "Where's Severus, and what is Harry doing?" Ron looked up at me, his eyebrows raised slightly.

I shook the notepad slightly and raised my eyebrows, growing impatient. "The professor is uh- he's, busy. And so is Harry." A very bored expression appeared on my face and Hermione rolled her eyes. I began writing again. "If you're going to lie, at least do it well." Ron let out a sigh. "Okay, okay. They're both over there," he said, pointing behind him. I took a step towards them but Ron stopped me. "He won't say anything."

 Ron let go of me and I went over to where Harry was standing. I stood beside him and looked at Severus's blank expression as he stared at nothing. Oh, Sev... I went and sat down beside him, carefully placing my hand over his as it rested on his lap. He didn't react. I looked up at Harry, he had a very sympathetic expression as he looked at Severus. I didn't want to go inside his mind without his permission and with his state at the moment, I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to do. 

I don't want to worry him by trying to speak but I doubt he'll read what I write and he won't respond if anyone other than me says anything, if he even responds to me. I take a deep breath. "Severus..." I say quietly. His eyes flutter a bit at the sound of my voice. "Hey, what's the matter?" My voice is stronger now but it still cracks a little. He takes a deep breath. Okay, we're getting somewhere. "Could you, give us a moment?" I asked Harry quietly. He nodded and went over to Ron and Hermione who were watching everything from a distance. 

I turn my body to face Severus completely, hoping it would show him this conversation was between us and us only. I pull his hand into my lap and cup it in both of mine, squeezing slightly. When he still doesn't look at me or really even move, I take a hand and gently turn his head to face me. "Sev, please, talk to me." I try to keep my sentences short since my throat was still burning. He looked down into my eyes and seemed to have snapped out of whatever trance he was in.

"What did you just say?" he asked quietly. My blood ran cold. I remembered how he told me not to call him by his first name in front of anyone and realized I didn't just say his first name but I gave him a nickname. My eyes widened and I pulled my hand away from his face. "I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," I said looking around to see if anyone was listening. "No, it's just...no one has called me that in a long time," he stated simply. He gave a soft smile but his eyes were distant and I could see something was bothering him. 

"What's the matter?" I asked again, trying to get back on topic. He shook his head and looked away. I sighed and asked again, "Severus, what's wrong?"