Chapter 55

My wish came true as I stepped through the doors. I saw him sitting at a small table for two on the left side of the restaurant. It was very dimly lit inside, even more in the area our table was. Flowers and small candles and lamps decorated the entire eating area, giving the room a gold tone all around.

I slowly approached Severus, quickly shrinking my bag down, without anyone noticing, and slipped it into my small dress pocket. He noticed me approaching and quickly stood. He looked at me with a nearly shocked expression.

He was dressed in a black suit, his hair framing his face. He looked amazing.

I smiled small as I finally came to stand in front of him. He blinked a few times before slowly wrapping his arms around my waist. I took a step closer to him as he leaned down and kissed me gently. I returned the kiss instantly, standing on the tips of my toes just a bit.

When we pulled away, he looked down at me with the slightest smile.

"Hi," I whispered.

"Hello," he returned, just as quiet, his smile growing.

He took a step back, taking me all in. I could tell what was coming.

"If one more person tells me-"

"Gods you're beautiful."

I smiled small, shaking my head gently.

"What? I can't tell my beautiful girlfriend how gorgeous she is?" he asked, stepping around me.

He pulled my chair out for me, gesturing for me to take my place. I smiled, rolling my eyes. I stepped to my chair to sit down. Severus made his way back to his seat, giving a small smile as well.

"My parents wouldn't stop gawking before I left the house. Then on the way in, this guy stopped me-"

"I beg your pardon?" Severus asked his voice stern and questioning.

I let out a small laugh, containing myself quickly in the quiet atmosphere. I looked at him, a stupid smile plastered on my face as I shook my head.

"He was an older gentleman," I started. "All he did was compliment me."

Severus' eyes bore into mine.

"I'm an older gentleman," he said slowly through gritted teeth.

I sighed, closing my eyes for a moment.

"Don't make me laugh, Sev. We're in public. And it was nothing like that, he was walking with his wife."

Severus' jaw clenched tightly before unclenching hesitantly. He nodded once, sitting back in his chair just a bit.

Before anything else could be said, a waiter brought over a bottle of red wine. It looked expensive.

"This was the bottle you asked for, yes?" the waiter asked.

"Yes, thank you," Severus responded.

As the waiter walked away, Severus looked at me with a gentle smile.

"You're actually gonna let me drink that?" I asked, slightly surprised.

"I suppose if you'd rather not," he started, pulling the wine away.

"No, no," I started, placing a hand on the wine as well. "I'd very much like to."

Severus smirked, nodding to my glass as he opened the bottle. We both stayed silent as he poured wine for both of us. Something was off with him, I could feel it, see it even. I couldn't put a finger on it but he seemed to want to say something