Chapter 50

A few days have gone by since we've gotten engaged.

The entire school now knows and is constantly asking what the plans are and who's going to be there. Neither Severus nor myself have even thought past graduation since we want to take it slow and enjoy it.

But graduation is a mere week away and the nerves I've had are horrendous.

Severus has done his best to help calm my nerves over the NEWTs, but that wasn't the only thing I was nervous about. My parents were going to be at my graduation and I knew they were going to want to talk.

I'd been writing to my father a little here and there since the first letter and he seems to want to sit down with my mother, Severus, and myself to hold a civil conversation. Severus agreed and the plan is to sit down the day after graduation to talk.

The NEWTs, however, are today.

My stomach was doing flips. I could barely eat and what I did eat nearly came up right after. Severus gave me something for my nerves and he's kept me with him.

"Severus what if-"

"Darling," he cut me off. "You'll do well and I know you will."

Severus brought me closer to him in his lap. I had my arms wrapped around his waist as he had one arm around my back and the other gripping my thigh gently.

I took a deep breath, keeping my attention on his steady heartbeat against my ear.

"Are you going to be there?" I asked quietly.

I felt the small kiss he left on the top of my head.

"Minerva thought it best for me not to be. She didn't want me to be there distracting you."

I nodded, realizing that was probably for the best.

I remembered the ring on my finger, causing the cool feeling from it on my finger to be more apparent.

"Well, I won't have to worry about you being too far," I smiled, pulling my hand up to view the ring.

Severus chuckled, taking my hand into his.

"This is true," he smiled in return, placing a small kiss on the back of my hand.

The thought of having the ring with me, a small piece of Severus, calmed my nerves much more. We laid together for a little while longer, waiting for 9 o'clock to hit.

Severus walked me to the doors of the Great Hall, seeing me off to the NEWTs. With a small kiss, he was walking away.

Hermione, Ron, and Harry all came up beside me as Severus walked away. We stood together, speaking words of praise to one another for luck before walking into the biggest exams of our lives.

***

Severus was waiting by the doors once the NEWTs were over. It had taken a few, very long hours. He offered his arm and a small smile. He could see the exhaustion in our faces as we walked up to greet him.

"Professor."

"Mr. Potter."

The two offered small nods to one another with the same for Ron and Severus. Hermione offered a smile and Severus returned this as well.

I took his arm and said goodbye to my friends. We walked to Severus' chambers.

Severus gave me one of his shirts to change into and I did, laying down on his bed. He came over to the bed, smiling down at me.

"Rest, my love. I'll be here."

I smiled gently, closing my eyes.

***