Saving him

Hannibal fanfiction

~mention of abusive relationships

_______________________________________

Your POV

You sat on the porch of your house with a mug of hot tea in your hand, on one of the loveliest mornings you've ever had.
It was around three months since you bought a wreck of a house on the seashore.

Completely alone under the cliff. No one as far as the eye can see.
Feeling the wind playing with your hair you thought about all the work you put into this.
Sure it took you months to renovate it and bring it to the beauty that it is now, but now that you think about all splinters, bruises, and all the work and trouble around, it was worth it.
Finally finding your peace and place on the earth, you felt complete.
Shutting down the world and moving away from your abusive family was a lifesaver.

You finished your tea and went inside for your easel.
Wanting to capture this moment you started to paint.
You painted almost all day, ignoring the time, and focusing solely on your work. The night began to fall, gathering your brushes and pallets you cleaned up your workspace.
Lighting the lights in the house you've decided to go for a short walk, smuggling in your new sweater.
You've been walking for a while when you heard loud police sirens and shouting.
Suddenly, you noticed a person jumping off the very top of the cliff.
You let out a yelp and ran towards the stones that divided the beach.
If they survived the fall missing the sharp rocks, the streams of the sea could bring them close enough to the shore for you to save them.
You weren't that far away from the house.

Quickly you ran into the waves desperately looking for them.
At the corner of your eye, you've recognized a man covered in cuts washed out by the sea.
You firmly gripped his shirt and dragged him out of the deep water directly to the house.
Now you were grateful that you left the lights on.

Getting closer and closer to the porch you sight in relief. Bringing him to the lighted room you could finally appreciate his features.
He laid on your couch while you went to fetch the first aid kit.
With a damp cloth, you cleaned the salty water from his wounds and applied disinfection.
You touched his forehead. Luckily he doesn't have a fever. You thought.
He started to open his eyes, adjusting to the light.
"Hi... um sorry, I'm Y/N, I saw you fall off the cliff and well... brought you to my house..." You said a little nervous.
He groaned, trying to sit up.
"You shouldn't be doing that." And pushed him gently back on the sofa.
"My apologies, I haven't properly introduced myself. I'm Hannibal."
"Nice to meet you." You almost whispered.

You both fell in comfortable silence.
But there was still something that was bothering you.
"Could you maybe tell me, why you jumped off..."
"Yes, certainly." He seemed to be thinking hard about what to say but he also was very calm.
"Before I start I just want to make sure... screw that. I'll just say it how it is."
You waited full of anticipation.
"I'm kind of surprised that you don't know me, but I'm a wanted criminal. I escaped the law and in the hope of death, I jumped off the cliff. I felt cornered. I was cornered. I didn't know how to respond to any of that. But you saved me..."
Yeah, you did save him. A criminal. But why do you feel okay about it? You should be worried. Instead, you trust him.

"Say something, please. Do you regret it?"
You stared into his eyes.
"No, I don't. I don't and I don't know how could I regret it."
You think that he feels the same weird sensation. Even though you don't completely understand it.
But just then, you caught a glimpse of few men with flashlights coming to your house.
You quickly got up and pick up Hannibal.
"Let's hide you in the pantry." You whispered urgently.
In a moment he was laying by the cornflakes.
You cleaned yourself up and hid anything that was giving away the feeling that you just a while ago had an injured man on the sofa.
Loud banging on the door startled you.

Confidentiality but with a smile you opened the door.
"Good evening. How can I help you?"
"Hello, I'm agent Jack Crawford, and this is my consultant Will Graham. We are here to discuss a very serious issue if you have a minute."
"Of course, come on in. I'll make some tea or coffee maybe if you'd like?"
"That won't be necessary." Said the Graham guy.
"Oh, I see. Have a seat."
You sat down on the lightly wet sofa, making the two men sit in each armchair.
"We were chasing down the infamous killer and cannibal, Doctor Hannibal Lecter. Do you know of him?"
"I'm afraid I don't understand. I saw this name in the newspaper a while back but since I don't have a TV I must say I won't be much help."
"Well he jumped off that cliff", said Graham cracker and pointed out of the window.

You made a surprised face.
"Your house is the only here down on the shore. If he survived this would be his only chance to get away." Graham yelled, obviously startled by your calmness.
Crawford put a hand on his shoulder and looked back at you.
"We won't be bothering you much longer. If we could maybe look around the house?"
"Of course, please do what you need to." You didn't let the nervousness show but you still cautiously followed them through the house.
When they were passing by the pantry you held your breath in fear. This would make you an accomplice.
They finished the inspection but just before they wanted to open the door Graham said.
"What's there?" And pointed to said door "If you don't mind me asking."
"No of course", you went to the door and opened them slightly, "um... it's just a pantry, but the lightbulb is broken so if you want to check it yourself..." You said, hoping they would let it be.

"No, thank you, but we'll be on our way. Let us know if you see something unusual." Said Crawford, and put his business card on the coffee table.
"Yes, thank you so much. I'll be more careful then." You gave them warm smile.
You waited ten more minutes before you went for Hannibal.
You gave him some male clothing that you bought for yourself because they are super comfy.
"Well, you have a lot of explaining to do."